Chap#39

Elaine's POV;

"Brian?" I asked

"Yep. It's nice to see you, Elaine. How have you been?" He asked

"I'm good. What about you?" I asked

"I'm fine. So the rumours are true. You did marry the famous Atlas Gray." He said

"Yeah." I replied. He said the same line as Atlas. Maybe that is the reason people have stared at me. I could ask Brian what he was doing here but I knew he was rich and had relations with higher people. Plus I was still kind of mad at him.

"Are you....are you still mad at me?" He asked

"I don't know. Maybe? I don't care." I replied with indifference

"I knew it. You are still mad. Please, forgive me. I said sorry to you many times after that." He said

"Do you still go around being nice to people and then make fun of them behind your back? How nice it is to be fake." I said

"No. I admit. I was fake. And a liar. But I don't do that anymore. I've apologised and I've changed, Elaine. I've really changed." He said sincerely which made me believe him. Brian was never a bad person, but he got into peer pressure and started acting like whom he wasn't.

"That's good." I said as we then started talking about all the things that's been going on. He told me how after his father got fired for being a liar and a cheater, he died a few years later. All those accusations were false. I knew it as his father was a really honest man. Just because he refused to participate in their tiny little office politics, he was fired. I told him about my marriage with Atlas and all that. He then told me about John. Brian and John were actually good friends. Brian told me that John is now engaged. I was so shocked at this.
He told me that after my wedding, he tried to move on. And he ended up falling in love with Brian's sister. Even though they dated for only a month, they still got engaged. Brian told me how he still thought this was too early. But everyone else was happy. Hearing this actually made me happy. I was kind of worried about John after my wedding.

"Elaine do you remember what you told me?" He asked

"What? I say a lot of things." I said

"Well you were right." He said as he sounded sad

"What happened?" I asked

"There was this girl I met two years ago. She completely changed me. She put me back together. Her smile was like sunshine to me. She was always smiling and it me fall in love with her more and more. She was adventurous and she loved making people happy. She was also kind and caring. We bonded over our same choices in novels. We became really close friends. But I never told her how I felt. I couldn't bring myself to. I was afraid. Afraid that if I tell her my feelings, then she will be gone, that I won't get to see her smile anymore. Then around a year ago, she got into a car accident and she...umm...she died." He said

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry to hear that." I said

"Hmm. Well, after that I never got to see her smile again. There were many times when I wished that I hadn't fallen in love with her. But in reality, the fact that I hated the most was that I never got a chance to confess. No, that's not right. I had many chances. I just never took the initiative due to my own insecurities. That's when I realised that no matter what happens, no matter how scared, nervous you are, even if you feel like you can't breathe, you should tell the person you love that you love them before it's too late. You never know when is what going to happen." He said which made me think about my situation. Should I tell Atlas about how I feel? What Brian just told me was sad, but it was also a reality.
After this, we talked a lot about bunch of other things and agreed to keep in touch.

As Brian went home early, Stephen, Atlas's business partner, came to me. We talked a bit about various things until we started talking about work. And that's when he said that he was familiar with my work and has seen all my projects. He even appreciated them all and what was the greatest of them all was that he offered me a job at his office. Apparently some guy named Will suddenly resignedly and moved to another town without telling anyone what happened, so he needed a replacement for that spot. He told me there's nothing to think about it as I should just take the offer. He said that even Atlas wouldn't mind after all we will be going to the same office. All the things he was telling me and with how he knew all the jobs I had done, it made me accept his offer. Yay! I got a job. I can't wait to tell Atlas!

That night as we got home. I changed into comfy clothes and then went to the living room where Atlas was sitting, watching tv. I don't know why, but I wanted to tell him about my job. I was really happy that finally I will be back in action!

I sat next to him and excitedly said, "Hey guess what!"

"What? You sound happy." He said

"I got a job!" I said

"Oh wow. That's great." He said smilingly, "Which Company?"

"Stephen offered me one at the party. Something about some Will leaving and well anyways, he needed his replacement and job was vacant so he offered it to me. He said you won't have any problem. Isn't that great?" I said smilingly

"No. You are not working there." He said with a bit of anger in his voice. Okay, what just happened? Why was he being like this?

"Why? Isn't it nice that I got a job?" I asked

"It's fine at any other place but you are not doing this job." He said as he got up

"Why?" I asked as I was finally annoyed of his 'I'll do and say what I want' attitude.

"Because I'm saying so." He said

"That's not a reason." I said as I got up

"Don't be stubborn and just do as I say." He said

"Why should I listen to you?" I said

"Because I'm your husband." He said as I could tell he was getting angry

"Ha! Husband? Don't forget this marriage isn't real. Don't start acting like my husband all of a sudden." I said as I didn't get why won't he let me go on this job

"You don't know what you are getting yourself into." He said

"I already said yes to his offer. And I am going to start from the day after tomorrow." I said

"I'm telling you, you're making a huge mistake." He said

"Then stop me if you can. But I will go to the office the day after tomorrow." I said as I then went to my room. Just what was wrong with him? I was such a clown to think that he'd be happy after hearing I got a job.

So how did you guys like this chapter? Please vote and comment if you enjoyed reading it. Thank you!