Chap#16

Atlas's POV;

Tonight we were at her house for dinner. She didn't have any siblings, so it was only her parents. Her father asked me a lot of questions and was surprised to find out about what I do. Speaking of which, does she even know what I do? Should I tell her? Well she hasn't asked me, so why should I tell her.

Her father is a really nice man. Someone who is intelligent and smart. He told me that many years ago Stephen had made a deal with him. The deal was that he will build a few projects and in return Stephen would give money. It was a written contract. But when it was time to give the money, Stephen refused. Stephen said he had already paid the money to him. When her father went to the court about this, Stephen forged the documents and even brought some witnesses. That damn Stephen, he's nothing but a fraud. I told her father about my experience with Stephen and the business and all that.
It is fun talking to him. I never had my dad to whom I could talk to about things like this.
In between I could see Elaine glaring at me. What's wrong her? Why does she keep glaring at me?

After dinner, her father took me to his study. We talked there a while, until it suddenly got quiet. It was awkward. I never liked awkward situations.

"Elaine...she's a hard working girl. She works hard in everything she does. And if she doesn't get what she wants, she never complains. At the same time, she's foolish. She makes some stupid decisions in life. But despite all that, she has never asked me for anything. She never tells me what she wants and smilingly accepts what we give her. This was the first time that she has ever asked for something. She said she wanted you. She likes you and wants to get married to you." Her father said suddenly. I kind of felt guilty. If only he knew she was lying.

"Umm..." I tried to say something but then he said, "You know I've never seen her cry. Except when she was a baby, even if she doesn't get what she wants, even if something bad happens to her, she always keeps smiling. You are smart, Atlas. I like you. That's why I know you'll take care of her. But I still want to say this, please keep her happy." He patted my back

"I will." I replied as someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." He said as I turn to see who it was. It was Elaine.

"Umm...they're waiting for you for desserts." She said

"Let's go." Her father said as he went out the room. I was also about to go out when suddenly she grabs my arm and stops me.

"What?" I asked

"Tell me what were you guys talking about." She asked. I could tell she was dying with curiosity.

"Why?" I asked

"Because I've never seen dad like that. He's so happy! I've got to say, nice acting." She said which made me frown. I wasn't acting.

"Let me ask you something. Were you acting when you are with my family?" I asked

"No." She replied as she then understands what I meant

After desserts, both the mothers were talking to each other while she was talking to Lyra. They all looked like they were having fun. Overall the dinner went fine. We decided on holding an engagement party next weekend.

As far as the wedding goes, me and Elaine talked about that before. And we decided to hold the marriage after a month.

Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment! I hope you are enjoying the book so far!