Chap#2

Elaine's POV;

"What? Are you sure you don't want to eat anything?" My mother asked

"Mom. This is so sudden. You know my answer. It's a no. It will always be a no." I said as I emphasised on the word no.

"I know dear, but your father is really happy with this proposal. In fact he is already planning your engagement." My mom replied as she looked at me with pity. She knew how I felt but still she didn't even try to convince dad.

"What the hell! Engagement?! I haven't even agreed to this. I told you I'm not getting married to John! Just please try to convince dad for me. Please mom. You know me. You know that John is like a brother to me." I pleaded to her hoping that she'd try to convince my dad.

"Elaine. I'm sorry. I'm terribly sorry. Actually I lied. The proposal came two weeks ago. And I didn't tell you about it because I was trying to convince your father to say no. I tried really hard. But he said that with the way you are going, you will never get married. He asked me if there's someone else you liked. And I told him I didn't know. Which then made him say that it's decided then." My mother explained

"It's not decided mom. I'll talk to John. I'm sure he was also pressurised by his father." I said as I took another sip of my coffee

"Actually he was the one who made the proposal." My mother said in reply to which I chocked on my coffee. I coughed as I tried to take a breath. What the hell. He sent a proposal?! That jerk! He didn't even tell me anything like this. Does he even like me? What the hell is he thinking? I'm gonna have a serious talk with that guy!

"Anyhow dear, take all the time you want to think about it. In the meantime, I'll try and convince your dad." My mom replied sweetly. I knew she'd always take my side.

"I don't need time to think as I've already said no. And I'll even talk to John and tell him no. Thanks for your help." I said as my phone ringed and I answered it. It was Claire.

"Hey. Are you free now? Jackson wants to talk. It's an emergency he says. He wants us all at the conference room now." She said

"Okay sure. I'm on my way." I said as I put the phone in my bag and got up.

"Where are you going?" My mother asked as she got up too

"I'm sorry. But there's an emergency at the office. I have to go." I said as I took the last sip of my coffee and called the waitress to bring the bill.

She came with the bill and asked if I'd like to pay with cash or card. I told her cash. I've always wanted to pay by a card. But I never had any. My life is still not that great.

"I'll go home too." My mother said as she grabbed her purse

"Don't you want to eat anything? I'll pay for it so just order." I said as I finally paid the bill and the waitress was gone.

"No. I didn't come here to eat. I just wanted to talk. Oh by the way. I gave your file to the marriage centre they have. I hope you don't mind." My mother said

"What? Why? Are there even marriage centres these days? And what file? Mom!" I said as I didn't like what she just said. How could she do that. I already have to deal with John and now this.

"I'm sorry dear, but I thought you'd find someone this way. I just want you to find someone and be happy." My mother replied

"I can take care of myself. Thank you. Anyhow, I have to go. Bye. Take care. Love you." I said as I kissed her cheek and then went out.

I took a taxi and came back to the office. Everyone was at the conference room. All the staff was there. The meeting had just begun as I walked in.

"I'm happy you're here. Now let's start." Jackson said as he stood at the front. While I went and stood along Claire and Tyler at the back.