Chap#4

Elaine's POV;

It was now exact 7pm. John came on the exact time and was now sitting in the lounge downstairs, waiting for me. I grabbed my purse and didn't even bother to look in the mirror to see how I looked because I didn't care. I went downstairs and greeted John as father stared at me.

"What are you wearing? You should've dressed up nicely." He whispered

"Dad. It's John! He's my friend and we are just going for dinner." I replied as I went outside. John followed after me. He opened the door to the car for me. Which I found strange. He never used to do that. Ever.

As we went to the restaurant, I realised he had chosen a really fancy restaurant and suddenly I felt so underdressed. I wanted to tell him to let's just go eat a pizza, but I knew this restaurant was very famous and you don't get reservation that quickly. That is why I didn't say anything to him. This was another restaurant owned by the Zen Company. Yes, they had business in practically everything.

We went inside, and John pulled the seat for me to sit down. Okay, now this was getting weirder. I wasn't liking this.

"Okay so now explain." I said, more like I demanded.

"There's nothing to explain." He replied

"Of course there is. Why did you sent that proposal? Why did you send me those flowers? It's weird. It's all weird. You are my friend, you know that John. You know that very well." I said

"I'm sorry, but I've never once thought of you as just a friend." He replied

"What does that mean? You don't even like me in that way." I said as I was feeling weird. This all wasn't feeling right. I didn't like what he was saying.

"That's not true. That's what you think. I love you, Elaine. I always have. And I sent that marriage proposal because I want to spend the rest of my life with you and those flowers because I want to make you happy." He said as he held my hand. This was getting weirder. I quickly pulled my hand away as I didn't like it.

"Now you know why." He said, "what's your answer gonna be?"

"No. This can't be. You're just a friend. I've never thought of you being anything more than that." I said as I shook my head. I refused to believe what he said. I didn't want to hear those words from him. I somewhat believed that he must've been pressurised by his parents. So I thought about how we could work together and make our parents cancel this wedding arrangement, but I wasn't expecting this. Sure some part of me did think that this was a possibility, but still. I didn't want to believe it.

"Then think of me as more than a friend now. Please just think about it. I promise you won't regret it." He said

"No means no, John. I've told you." I said

"Don't take my feelings so lightly. I meant what I said." He said

"I'm not. I'd never do that. Some part of me knew this was going to be a possibility that's why I seriously thought this through. I did. And I just couldn't imagine it. I just can't. I'm sorry." I said as I really apologised. I was happy to knew about his feelings but that was all. I don't feel anything more for him.

"Then I'm sorry too. I can't keep being your friend." He said

"What? Why?" I said. Sure I didn't had feelings for him but that didn't mean I did not like him as a friend. He was one of my closest friends. I didn't want to lose one of my friends.

"If we can't be lovers, I'd rather we be strangers than friends." He said

"That's not fair. You are my friend. We have so much fun together." I said

"It might be fun for you, but it isn't fun for me knowing I can't have you." He replied

What was going on with him? I don't understand. What's wrong with being friends? Have I been hurting all this time when I've been calling him a friend?
"I see. I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt your feelings. But know this, I did enjoy and cherish our time as friends." I said as I got up and left the table. I wanted to stay and taste the delicious food of this restaurant. But I felt that would be too insensitive, after I rejected him. Besides there was a lot else going on my mind.

My mind was so confused. It was practically going crazy. So many thoughts were running through my head. I was still in thoughts when I bumped into someone and fell down.

"Ah I'm sorry..." I said as I looked up and saw the same guy from the photo before, the high quality, "It's you." I said subconsciously.

He pulled me up by giving me his hand as support. "What?" He asked

"Umm...no. It's nothing. Thank you." I said as I smiled.  

"Just watch where you are going." He said as he then left. Rude enough. I thought to myself as I then left the restaurant.

It was 9 at night, I was FaceTiming Claire and Tyler. I told them both everything that happened.

"So now what?" Tyler asked

"What do you mean?" Claire asked him

"I mean, did you talk to your father. What does he say about all of this?" Tyler asked

"Actually...I talked with dad. He said I'm being foolish and I'm rejecting a great opportunity. He says that he has given word to his best friend, and he never backs out on his friend. So I should learn to love John. He says even if I don't, I will eventually learn to love John after I marry him." I replied. I didn't like this. I don't want this. Why was dad being stubborn? I get it he has always been stubborn. But I don't like this.

"I don't get your dad." Tyler said

"Yeah. Why is he so stubborn?" Claire asked

"I don't know. He has his own set of rules and standards." I said

"Why?" Tyler asked

"I don't know. You know how he has a huge social circle, with different types friends. And don't ask me, it's his stupid mind and thoughts. Not mine." I said, "You know..." I added as I was gonna tell them I met the photo guy, "Never mind. Should I call John? I am going to call him and make him tell me why the marriage arrangement hasn't been cancelled yet." I said as I then said goodbye to them and promised to tell them what happens. I then called John.

"Hello. I didn't think I'd get a call from you after tonight. Did you change your mind?" He said

"No! Now tell me why the marriage arrangement hasn't been cancelled yet?" I demanded

"Its because my dad says he has given a word to your father, and he won't back down." He replied, "Do you really hate it that much?"

"Yes. I do hate it. A lot in fact." I said. I didn't care if I was hurting his feelings, I just wanted to get over all this crap.

"Elaine, why can't you just admit you're destined to love me?" He said as he chuckled

"What?! No!" I said as I was getting annoyed

"Why are you denying it Elaine? Why go through so much trouble? Just love me and I promise I'll make you happy." He said

"I'm sorry but I make my own destiny. So you'd better call off this wedding or else." I said angrily. I officially didn't care about what he felt.

"I won't. I get you are being difficult. But I'm not giving up. And I know that you love me. I can see it in the way that you smile at me." He said as I ended the call. He was being weird and annoying.

Please vote and comment if you liked the chapter! Thanks for reading!