179 - Whistling

Zhou Lei walked to the mall in a slow pace. He didn't really need to hide from anyone since his face was perfectly hidden from the public eye.

He made his way as he whistled with cheer. After all, he was meeting his friend again! He couldn't get enough of the feeling of being with a friend.

What he didn't know was that normal friendship wasn't like this... and he wouldn't know this until much later.

His joyful whistling pleased the ears of every passer-by. Their moods lifted as his tune penetrated even the hardest skulls.

In a particular café...

"Goddammit, where is my order?!" A customer slammed the table, startling the waitresses and the other customers.

One waitress approached him. "Sorry sir, your order will be here shortly."

"Shortly? Don't you know I've already waited here for 10 minutes?!" The customer didn't hold back while his yelling ruined the atmosphere of the café.

The waitress didn't know what to do. She was just a new recruit that had only been here for a week.

She kept her head down as the customer complained and complained.

The other customers got ready to leave as well. Their moods were ruined by this one customer in a suit...

Until...

"♪~♪~♪"

A man in a hoodie passed by, his whistling piercing through the glass walls that separated the café from the outside.

"♪~♪~♪"

The air inside the little establishment lightened up as the jolly sound made its way to their brains.

Everyone who was about to leave felt themselves inclined to sit again. Their mood rose up at an unprecedented rate.

The waitress who had her head down felt that her heart got less tight, when she suddenly felt a feeling pressing down on her shoulder lightly.

"S- sir?" Her worry that left a moment ago came back as soon as she felt the sensation. She raised her head slightly to see that the face full of fury was gone, replaced with an amiable smile.

"Miss," the man spoke, with utmost politeness, "I'm sorry for my outburst earlier. I was just having a really rough time. Can you forgive me?"

The waitress widened her eyes in disbelief. The other waiters in the café have experienced the feeling of having a customer shout at them, but they haven't experienced said customer apologizing to them afterwards!

"I, uh..." The waitress didn't know how to respond to the man's sudden kindness.

"Please raise your head, miss..." The man stood up and tried to push her shoulders upward, albeit with as little force as possible.

The waitress just nodded and followed his instructions. "Th- thank you."

Witnessing the scene before them, the customers all clapped, much to the two's surprise. Even the manager and the other waiters joined in congratulating their reconciliation!