163 - Secret Crush

"Be careful...!" Xiao Si sent a word of concern.

"Don't worry!" As she said that, Zhou Xiang winked her right eye.

In the boss's office.

Zhou Xiang stood still in the dark room. The boss had his chair turned around as he looked out the window, the only source of light in the office.

"Zhou Xiang."

As she heard her name being called, she felt an external pressure push down on her, forcing her to fall over.

She withstood this and responded. "Y- yes, boss?"

"Do you know why I called you here?" The boss spoke in a calm voice, with no trace of malice in his tone.

However, to Zhou Xiang, that made it all the more terrifying.

Normally, this boss of hers always shouted at her first thing in the morning. His serene voice was one that she had never heard of.

"Uhh... you're entranced by my beauty?" Zhou Xiang tried to guess what it was that made the boss call her.

"..." No answer from the boss.

"I, uh..." She gulped a mouthful of saliva as she resumed, "...are you going to fire me?"

"If you give one more answer like that, then yes, I am going to fire you."

"Well, uh... what is it then?" Zhou Xiang didn't have the nerve to guess anymore.

"I'm just going to mention to you one thing – who allowed you to take a day off?" The boss turned the chair he was sitting on around.

She saw the boss leaning his head forward, using his hands as support.

"...You?" Zhou Xiang raised her eyebrow.

The boss massaged his temples when he heard this answer. "Remind me who hung up before I could even talk?"

"...I think it was me?" Zhou Xiang pretended to be oblivious.

"Yes, it was you. So you took an unexcused absence yesterday." The boss's eyes narrowed.

"..." Zhou Xiang bit her lip and didn't say anything.

Likewise, the boss just stared at this incompetent woman in front of him.

"P- please don't fire me!" Zhou Xiang kneeled on her knees and begged.

One corner of the boss's lips curled upwards. "...Stand up. I'll have you work overtime today."

Zhou Xiang laughed it off. "Hehehe, thank you boss..."

"Hai... why'd you get a plastic surgery? Did your plastic surgery have a deadline or something?" The boss couldn't comprehend that Zhou Xiang went absent just for a plastic surgery.

Zhou Xiang stood up promptly and let out a sigh of relief. "What do you mean plastic surgery? This is all natural."

"..." The boss didn't expect Zhou Xiang to be this shameless. "...Just get out."

"Thank you, boss! I'll never forget this favor! When I'm rich, I'll be sure to repay you!" Zhou Xiang's voice trailed off as she exited the room.

When the boss couldn't see her anymore, he opened a drawer and pulled a framed portrait out.

The portrait was of two students, one girl and one boy.

They were at the amusement park in their uniforms. Both of them had a cotton candy in their hands.

"...Xiang Xiang, why did you marry so suddenly?" With a trace of melancholy on his face, the boss put his hand on the picture as it slowly slid down the glass.