53 - Mind-Controlling Cube

"Ugh, what the heck is System talking about..." Zhou Lei muttered to himself.

In his fit, he forgot his previous decision to unplug the speakers. Instead, he unplugged one of the printers instead, as it was obviously the logical choice.

System notified him that he completed the quest.

"Hmm? That quickly? What did I do?" Zhou Lei's head was full of questions.

Nonetheless, he gratefully accepted the reward like an awesome guy.

"Yes, yes. I'm so cool, I complete quests without being aware of them." Zhou Lei was slowly turning into a narcissistic person.

System gave him a new quest.

Quest: Be modense

Description: In all of the Japanese novels, the dense but modest main character always gets all of the girls. This is the way to be popular.

Reward: 1 Mind-Controlling Cube, 10 upgrade points

"Wait..." When Zhou Lei read the quest name, he realized how much self-praise was contained in his previous remark, and was regretful.

He also felt lucky that no one was around to see that, otherwise they would've condemned him for his excessive narcissism.

He had to change his character now. To one of a dense, modest, kind, sensitive to girls... basically a person without any personality.

"Hmm... would I want this?" Zhou Lei contemplated. This would surely help him get popular, but did he really want to do it with a fake personality?

"Yeah, no." After thinking for a while, Zhou Lei finally decided against it. He should just fake the two traits given by the quest. Who knows, maybe he could mold his actual personality into that of modesty and denseness?

As he read the rewards, his eyes doubted themselves. Zhou Lei also doubted his eyes, but that's not the main point!

Anyway... he was shocked. In the rewards was something that was neither a lottery ticket nor an upgrade point.

It was... an actual item! An actual usable item! Also, based on its name, it should control other people's actions!

No matter how kind someone may be, curiosity would always tempt him to try it at least once.

He read its description.

Name: Mind-Controlling Cube

Description: Contrary to the name, this cube doesn't completely control someone's mind, as technology that advanced hasn't been developed yet. Instead, it just puts people in a 5 meter radius in a trance, being completely captivated by the user of the cube. It is not effective against people above 53 years old.

Time limit: 1 day

Used: One (1) times

"Oh, so it doesn't completely mind-control..." While reading the description, Zhou Lei muttered to himself in a low voice. His voice contained a tinge of disappointment.

The description implied that someone with a strong enough will could resist the cube.

"Even though System performed miracles already, why can't it do such a simple thing? Technology not advanced enough? What a lame excuse. Obviously, we have already gone past 'technology'."

After his thoughts, his desire to get this Mind-Controlling cube drastically decreased. Even though its effects were already amazing, as Zhou Lei was used to more amazing things because of System, this specific item did not satisfy his standards.

However, he still held a hint of anticipation for it. After all, it was still an item given by System. Surely, these people that had a 'strong will' were rare, and most people would be affected by the item.

As he reached the bottom of the description, he noticed something peculiar.

"Wait, used one times?" Zhou Lei was puzzled, "That's the wrong grammar!"