Chapter 14

TULIPS

Mark

He was already seated in class when his best friend arrived. The tall, pale complexioned young man sat on the chair beside him. His face was a little relaxed and looked quite happy that morning which was unusual for Mark to comprehend.

"What happened you were not in class yesterday?" Mark asked softly. His soft facial features could melt any cold heart. He really complemented Ice as a friend. He was always there to calm Ice whenever he was too cold and brutal.

"Why? Did I miss something?" Ice asked without looking at his friend.

"No Ice. I was just wondering. But it's fine since you are okay " Mark replied calmly.

Ice ignored his friend for some minutes. He brought out his books and hung his bag behind his chair. Then he shot a hard look at Mark.

"Were you happy all day, since I wasn't there?"

Mark was taken aback by the question. "What do you mean by that Ice?"

"What? Am I wrong? You were happy meeting with your... cheering... friends."

Mark looked around the class hoping no one hears what they were talking. He felt shy. He hated arguing with Ice. And it was rather too early to venture into it.

He tried to be rational. "Is anything wrong with meeting other friends. You see other people too, Ice."

"They all want to see me because I'm influential. Because everybody knows my father," Ice replied bluntly.

"You don't have to judge everyone that way. Someone might want to be your friend because he truly likes you."

Ice smirked. "At the end all they want is my money...your money."

He returned his gaze to Mark's face. He squinted his eyes as he looked down at Mark's lips. "....and body." He breathed and looked away.
"Just like those local friends of yours... They are not worth our time. Rich people like us... just use them..."

"Ice..."

"What...?" Ice rolled his eyes in angst. "Feeling guilty?"

Mark nervously looked away. He blinked several times to regain his mind. Talking with Ice always resulted to misunderstandings. They were both rich boys but they had different ways they viewed life.

"You better stay away from them because they're nothing but trouble. Unless, like I said, use and dump them, as easy as that."

"I know who I make friends with. No one is going to get me to trouble. I understand you are looking out for me, but don't be judgemental on those innocent people."

"Innocent?" Ice twitched his jaw in irritation. He almost laughed but he held it in.
He suddenly placed his hand on the his friend's palms and squeezed tightly feeling his soft skin.

"You my friend is the innocent one. Don't get entangled with those people. Do you want me to crack your skull and fix what I just said into your brain?"

Mark fidgeted. He tried to pull his hands away but Ice held him tightly.

"Ice...we are in the class."

"Oh...I forgot," Ice smiled slyly and released his grip on his friend.

...

Earth

He reported to work as early as possible. He had gotten better after taking some medicine.

Actually he was scared his boss might fire him if he stayed away for more than two days and he really needed the job.

Students had already started buying their breakfast meals when his boss walked in. He seemed to be in really good mood. He tapped Earth on the shoulders.

"That young master who worked here yesterday was so hardworking. I made more sales than before."

"Uh... Sir, who are you ... talking about?" Earth asked looking confused.

"That handsome young man. He said he is your friend. The girls were all over him," The man laughed.

"Maybe you should get sick more often so the handsome friend can replace you, Earth," the boss mumbled as he glared at the younger man.

"Uh?" Earth didn't get what he said.

"Thanks to him, you will be getting a bonus this month. Work harder."

Finally a compliment and a bonus. Earth widened his eyes in surprise. He bowed in appreciation.

"Thank you, boss."

Earth watched him go into his office. He was still trying to process what he just heard. Who could he be talking about that will come and replace him? It can't be Ex. Or Ploy? Those were his two closest friends. They knew nothing about preparing Thai tea or shrimp rice soup.

Ice? Earth recalled Ice looked tired and his shirt had some sweat stains. Did he actually act as the waiter boy in place of him? But he never mentioned it when he came to his room.

Who could it be?

Thanks for reading.