Chapter 10

TULIPS

Tip

Tip sat under a shade with his friend Bank at a corner in a busy street. It was already past eight in the evening but people in their casual outfits and students in the white and black uniform were still wandering the street.

Bank sipped from his juice while Tip ate some street fish cakes.

A crowd began to gather at the end of the street. Tip wondered what was happening. They decided to wait and see. Soon the sound of soft melody from a guitar filled the air followed by a fine male voice.

He listened closely and recognised the voice immediately. He hurriedly ate the fish cakes in the plate and wiped his mouth with his hands.

Before he could make a move Nat and Tan suddenly ran into them, giving Tip a scare. He tried to run but Tan caught up with him and snatched the last fish cake from his hands.

"P'Tip, you deceived us. You said you were going home. But you came here to eat fish cakes," Nat whined.

Tip whimpered in frustration. These boys were double trouble.
"Ah, Nat, how did you guys find me?" He asked as he watched Tan eat up the remaining fish cakes. 

"I hear music, is someone busking here?" Tan asked ignoring Tip's question.

"Yes," Tip replied. "Can you keep quiet I want to listen to him."

Nat laughed and pointed at their football master. "P'Bank, when did P'Tip start liking love songs. I thought all he know was football."

Bank hit Nat in the head.

"Ouchh..."

"That's your captain you're talking about."

"I want more fish cakes, and shrimps... P,' Tan grumbled.

Tan groaned and held on to Tip's hands. "You promised us lunch P'Tip, but you disappeared."

"Can you two leave me alone? Tan you didn't score a goal during practice and now you want to eat fish cakes."

"P...I scored a goal, it's Nat who didn't score."

"I only buy fish cakes for boys who score goals."

Tip reached for his wallet and brought out a thousand note to give to Tan, but Nat's hand was faster. He snatched the money and ran off. Tan chased after him.

Tip sighed heavily. This kids drove him crazy. He told Bank he will be right back.

He joined the crowd. He stretched his neck towards the middle till he saw the singer. He was right about the voice. It was Skit. He was busking at the middle of the street. Tip listened to him as he sang another love song.

Tip was moved just watching him sing. Since he had never fallen in love or been in a relationship, Tip only imagined what the feelings could be like.

It took about fifteen minutes for Skit to sing two special songs. After which he called it a day. Most of the listeners cheered for him and others dropped little cash and coins for him.

He waited till the crowd dispersed before walking up to where Skit was gathering the money he had made for the night.

"Heloo..." Tip greeted and smiled. He put his hands in his blue and white sports pants.

"Oh, A'Tip. How are you?" Skit greeted. He paused a bit. He was taken aback as Tip looked quite handsome in his sports wear.

"What are you doing here?"

"Just hanging around," Tip scratched his ear and looked around hoping Tan and Nat won't pop out and spoil this moment with Skit.

Skit felt weird in his stomach. He stared at Tip like he just seen a ghost.

"You look different in your sports outfit."

"Really. It doesn't fit properly or what?" Tip asked as he adjusted the sport wear.

"You look good in it."

"Have you had dinner yet?" Tip asked.

"No," Skit replied. "but I'm fine."

"Hey... Come on." Tip scoffed. "I remembered what you said last time."

He recalled Skit telling him to give money when he was sober. So he reached for his wallet and opened it. But It was empty.

Skit raised his eyebrows and saw the empty wallet. He chuckled trying to hide the embarrassment.

"Did you loose your money?" HSkit smiled revealing a small gap teeth in the middle of his small dentition.

Tip nodded slyly. He remembered that Nat had collected the last cash he had. Those sons of monkeys.

He scratched his ears again. "You would have collected the tip last time, Skit. Now I don't have any money to give you now."

Skit laughed. He never had someone as cute as Tip be such a comedian.

"You're laughing but I'm serious here. I'm not drunk."

"It's fine. You are so funny."

"I really saved up the money to give to you," Tip continued.

"Okay, give me your number maybe I will tell you my next location and you come watch me."

"Skit, you're a celebrity. Why will you give me your number?"

"Celebrities are humans right."

Tip nodded. He handed Skit his hand phone.
Skit dialled his number and his phone rang.

"I will save this," Skit pointed out.

"Okay," Tip nodded.

Skit turned to leave but stopped. He had a very unusual request to make. "Tip..."

"Hmm."

"Can you walk me to my car?"

"Your car, sure," Tip answered happily. He helped Skit with his guitar and bag. They walked silently to the car park.

They approached a Chevrolet parked at the middle. Skit unlocked the boot and dropped his stuffs inside.

"Do you want me to give you a ride?" He asked.

"Errrr..." Tip scratched his head. He would have loved to join him but he couldn't leave Bank like that. "I came with my friends," He pointed backwards.

Skit shrugged and got into the car. He waved to Tip and drove off.

Thanks for reading.