77. Corrupted With Fear

I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me...

***

Zane

As I reached the center of the arena, I quickly struck the woman using a blast from my hands. She went flying back but sprouted her wings once again as she caught herself in the air.

I hastily turned towards Harper who was breathing heavy with wide eyes. "Are you okay?" I asked. She nodded then focused on something behind me.

"Zane!" I turned around to see the same woman with her wings gone glaring at me roughly. I acted fast and caught the...feather? She just threw a feather at me?

It was blue and green with a colorful pattern. The needle of the feather was sharp and I stared at it curiously before I went after her. The woman was also blonde with black eyes. Her skin was pale and she had freckles covering her skin. I tackled her to the ground and we rolled over, I easily got on top of her.

She wrestled with me before she let out a loud squawk. I grunted as she held onto my arm tightly. I soon felt something sharp and hard press into my stomach and I let out a strained groan.

What the actual hell?

I felt the sting in my stomach and it hurt like a bitch. I grunted again as I tried to hold onto her leg from pressing her sharp and long bird talons into my body. My eyes shifted and we lifted off of the ground- only slightly. We then went crashing back down into the ground, and the woman let out a painful yell as she was pressed down. The concrete beneath her cracked and pushed further down.

The woman clenched her teeth before I felt her claws dig into me deeper. Holy shit, that hurt.

I bared my teeth as my eyes continued to glow. Damn, these Harpies were strong. Too strong. I repeated the actions I performed before and she went smashing into the concrete again.

I tried to ignore the slight pain I felt and bared it when we rolled over- I was now laying on my back. The woman shifted her leg and the talons in my stomach twisted. I groaned again.

Pain. I felt pain. A strange ray of light shined in her face and the woman winced. Letting out another strange bird sound, she flinched and withered at the light Harper was shining.

"Let him go." I couldn't see Harper but I contorted my face as I tried to look at her. I couldn't. The sharp hooks into my stomach pressed farther. Only now could I smell the blood. The sharp pain in my stomach intensified and I knew something needed to be done quickly.

The woman continued to shift and rub her eyes, yet her claws still inside me. As I looked up, I caught glimpse of the torches that were lined around the perimeter of the arena.