68. Inspire

Perhaps the mission of an artist is to interpret beauty to the people- the beauty within themselves. - Langston Hughes

 - Langston Hughes

***

Arden

"Do you think we're in the right place?" Hayden whispered.

I shrugged. The woman continued to sing her song on stage- only a piano in the background. Soon, blue lights were lifted and in the background, a line of contemporary dancers began moving behind her.

Everyone was dressed in white and as I listened to the lyrics of the song being sung, I took note it was about love- forbidden love.

The singing and dancing continued on for about three more minutes before the stage went black. The play went on and it seemed that we sat through the second half- because the end didn't come too long after.

I was taken off-guard with the ending- It was a tragedy. Instead of love, there was only hollowness and everlasting pain...

Interesting way to end the show.

Once the play ended, we remained seated- for the roll call. Different people were called to stage for their ending calls- however, when the producers and minds behind the play were called, I paid close attention to their names.

Mel, Lia, Clio, and Callie were the writers of the play I just witnessed half of. Era and Pia were in charge of the score and the music. Terra did the choreography and Nia directed the whole production. They were sisters with the last name of Cosse.

Their names were peculiar- in a sense where they seemed too familiar and connected. However, for some reason, I couldn't put it together. My eyes narrowed as the audience was still applauding and cheering. The women on stage smiled in front of the cast and crew and I watched as Nia took a microphone and began to speak.

"Thank you, Thank you, guys." Nia was speaking English but with a heavy accent. "We hope you guys enjoyed our production of 'Nixed' and we thank you all for coming out for the show. Everyone on this stage worked incredibly hard to put this show on for everyone. 'Nixed' is a play my sisters and I created, making it an addition to a very long list of productions that we've also originated. Here at Inspire, the number one rule is to create. Putting together different talents and great minds can be the outcome of something truly special and extraordinary."

She continued on about the play, and how it took a lot of work. Once she was done speaking, everyone applauded again and lights filled the room. As everyone stood and began exiting the theater, I sat thinking about the women on stage.