76. Harper Can Help

You held me down, but I got up. Already brushing off the dust... -Katy Perry

 -Katy Perry

***

Zane

"Are you sure?" I asked Harper as I walked around the empty stadium. Empty concrete stairs and seats surrounded us in a circle. The sunset fell over the arena almost enchantingly, lighting it in the perfect way. However, my eyes were narrowed and searching.

I was trying to find any sign that could lead us to her- Johanna. Anything. "I'm sure," Harper answered quietly. Harper led us to an ancient arena where it was used for theater, shows, and gladiator battles. It seemed as if thousands of people could fit in here at once and I could only imagine back then when this place was alive and thriving. Filled with people and maybe gods bringing everyone in the city together in certain ways.

Harper said this was one of the places where we could most likely find Johanna. "She mentioned this place a few times when she came to me. She implied that she kept some of her...allies here. This is where they would meet up, stay together, and plan everything."

"Like their base?" I asked, still looking around. I was still feeling a little on edge. The whole situation back at Inspire ignited something in me. I was frustrated, upset, and just....lost. I was confused- I didn't know what to make of any of it.

I felt like shit and I'm pretty sure it was showing. I didn't know if I was angry or sad. If I was angry, I didn't know if it was directed toward myself or Arden.

"Yeah, like their base," Harper replied. She cleared her throat. "Um, are you....are you okay?" She asked.

I peeled my eyes from the center of the arena and looked at her. I wasn't alright. Not at all. Obviously, anyone could tell. "I'm fine."

Harper raised an eyebrow slightly. "Are you sure? You know, what happened back there- it was, it was really...intense."

I nodded and clicked my tongue. "Yeah, it was."

It was quiet between us for a while. The only sounds were coming from the city- cars, and people, and nature. "You still love her, though." I heard Harper say quietly. I looked back at her.

Do I love her? I mean...I did? "What do you mean?" I sounded like a complete dumbass.

"You still love her," Harper repeated. "My mother created the Heart Fire, remember? I can tell when it's...activated. You didn't mean what you said, did you?"

I didn't answer her right away. I could feel Harper's eyes at the side of my head. Of course, I didn't mean what I said to Arden. I told her that she wasn't extraordinary. I made her believe that she wasn't the incredible person she was.