66. Take It Back

Sometimes I want to go back in time and punch myself in the face.

***

Zane

"What are you- how'd you do that?" I asked.

It was strange, I could still feel Arden's lips on mine but it wasn't Arden.

Johanna did nothing but chuckle. There was a broad smile on her face. "That felt very nice." She tilted her head.

"Where'd you come from, how'd you find me here?"

Johanna stepped closer and I took a step back. My head was still spinning. What the hell just happened? Arden, I was kissing Arden...

"I've decided that i'd move on from the whole fire-fiasco form earlier. I was angry before but, I'm not anymore sweetheart- I could never stay mad at you." Johanna tilted her head once again. "Although, Arden...ugh, what am I going to do about her?"

"Just leave her alone." I said lowly. I watched Johanna carefully- taking note of her every movement. Yesterday was a very long day. Between the visions at the beach, showing up to our hotel rooms, flinging Armani off the balcony, breaking into Circe's library, finding us at Hadrian's, and setting the entire fourth floor on fire, I didn't trust her one bit. My eyes went down next to her ear, where I indeed saw something interesting. X. What did X mean?

I recalled earlier when Arden had muttered something to Johanna about X. I made note to ask her about it later.

"But I can't, sweetheart. I simply cannot. She has my crown, and I intend on taking it."

"It's not your crown, Jo. And there's no way you can take that title from her." Johanna frowned. Her cool blue eyes flickered under the light of the moon.

"Yes, there is. And you Zane...are going to help me do it." Like hell I will. Was she insane? There's no way I'm helping her.

"I don't think so." I answered. I swear if she started with her bullshit on ruling the cosmos and how the world needed a 'rebirth', I swear...

"Would it be that bad to be king of the gods, Zane? A king that ruled over a perfect, immaculate, untainted world. No pain, no trouble, no drama, and no suffering. Why is that such a bad thing?" Johanna whispered, looking up at me intently. "Can't you see it?"

I blinked and I opened my eyes to a different scene. It took me off guard and I looked around to see what was going on. Purdue. We were back at Purdue University inside the mess hall. I furrowed my eyebrows as I tried to make out what was going on.

There were different people and groups hanging out, eating, and doing all kinds of work. However, I caught gaze of the three girls sitting by one of the lounge couches.