6. Best Unsaid

Getting stronger everyday...

***

Zane

As we all walked back to our cars, the only light was the glow Ace was letting off. As Armani, and Nikki walked in front of the group, Ace and Ali traveling behind, I watched Arden as she moved slowly, falling back.

I knew she was tired but I also know that she was connected to the forest we were in. She used to come here a lot. Her alone, because she was just drawn to the forest. Olive trees filled the area and owls lurked around, which was unusual for where we are.

Speaking of birds that didn't belong, I clenched the feather in my hand and looked down. I picked it up because I couldn't hold my curiosity anymore. The feather was white and fluffy at the end. It was thin and it sprung out into shreds at the top. The calamus of the feather was red with a dried substance. Blood, most likely. As if someone had pricked themselves with it.

I've seen it countless times. Too many times for it to be a coincidence. I kept seeing these same feathers, everywhere I went. Either they were covered in blood or someone accidently poked themselves with one.

My mind wondered about it non-stop and I'm convinced this is something that I can't just let go. Something is definitely going on. I clenched the feather one more time in my hand and contemplated my next move.

"Arden." I said lowly enough for her ears only. She was walking like she was in a trance yet normal. I don't know if she was tired or if the effects of the forest were getting to her. She stopped and turned around, looking up at me with the same brown eyes....they held everything.

She didn't answer, but acknowledged me. The others didn't notice we stopped. Once they were a good distance ahead, I spoke again. "I need to talk to you." Arden gave me the face. The face she makes when she's confused, anxious, when her mind started filling up with thoughts.

Arden looked to the side for a second before looking back at me, furrowing her eyebrows. "Talk?" She asked quietly.

Her voice was quiet, low and one of the sweetest i've ever heard. Her asking that simple question made me want to draw her into my arms. I nodded. "Yeah, talk."

"About what?" She asked slowly. I had an idea of what was going on through her mind, but Knowing Arden, she could help me. I needed to tell someone about my observations, and I trusted her to help me make some sort of sense out of it. The girl knew what she was talking about, as long as your words weren't in the dark.

I pause before I answered her. How do I put this?

Basically, I keep seeing people getting stabbed with feathers and I also keep seeing white feathers covered in blood by some unknown birds flying around. What the fuck is going on?