61. Lost And Found

Time is the fire in which we burn. -D.S

***

***

Arden

"No one knows where Cronus' body is except for Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades- how the fuck did Johanna manage to find him?" I asked incredulously.

"I-I don't know." Harper answered. "That's just what she explained to me. I don't know how she managed to take his power either."

"This shit doesn't make sense." Zane stated gruffly, his eyebrows drawn together and a frown on his face.

"I believe her, though." Harper said. "I've seen what she's been able to do, I think she might've really stolen the power of time from Cronus- I just...don't know how."

"So, after Cronus..." Nikki started.

"She came to me for help." Harper looked down and clenched her fists in her lap, remembering. "I don't know how she found me. But, along with a couple of others, she wanted me to work with her. She wanted my...fire."

"Fire?" Ali asked slowly. Harper continued.

"Hearth, the flames of the fireplace represents domestication of what 'Home' is. It represents a feeling and or place that's your own. Somehow, she was going to use my fire to ruin, create chaos, and burn everything in her path."

Well, shit.

"Seems like she's a lot crazier than we thought."

"What did you do?" Zane asked seriously.

"I had to deny her- I had to refuse. I-I knew she would take my power away from me anyway, the way she did with the others. She was strong, and had too many people behind her, supporting her. I knew I couldn't fight her on my own. So...I ran." Harper whispered.

"There was no-"

"No." Harper cut Perri off. "Again, i'm sorry that you all were tied into this. When I first saw you guys, I didn't know you were the disparates from America."

"Don't worry about it." Ali told her. "How could you know?"

"She hasn't found you?"

"Not yet." Harper whispered.

"Well, listen," I started. "Now that you've found us-or we found you- maybe we can work together to stop her. That way, you won't have to run anymore- we'll fight her together."

Hearing the rest of Harper's story, I actually had some sympathy for her. How Johanna managed to find her, I understood why she fled. Johanna was very powerful, finding the body of Cronus, the Kai, and somehow figuring out how to steal power from actual gods. Not to mention she was also getting stronger by the day using peacock feathers to draw blood from mortals.