62. Up In Flames

When you're born in fire, smoke will never do...

***

Arden

Once we all reached the fourth level of the library, We quickly spotted Johanna, recovering. She slowly stood up and turned around, unaware that we were there.

"Johanna, now listen-"

"No," She cut Perri off harshly. "You listen. Of course, I knew that you jackasses were going to be difficult, but now you're simply just getting on my nerves." She spat out harshly.

Really!? Like she wasn't getting on our nerves! She and her bat-shit-crazy ways were driving all of us insane- literally!

"What did you do to Harper?" I asked her.

Johanna rolled her eyes and brushed off her clothes. "If she would've helped me and lent me her power, then I wouldn't be here. She wouldn't be hurt. But, if you want something- you obviously have to do it yourself." Johanna explained.

Did she-she stole Harper's power? How the hell did she manage to do that?!

"I didn't take all of it- thanks to you guys of course." Johanna turned and scanned the room while she spoke to us. "And thanks to you guys again- I have to continuously keep regaining my strength."

"The damn feathers were a lie. You used me back in Green Brook." Zane pointed out, looking at her seriously. "There was no damn phenomenon, this whole time we were really searching for you- while you were hurting innocent people."

"No one's innocent," Johanna answered. "Sweetie, the sooner you realize that the sooner you know not everything is what it seems. You'll see the real reason why everything needs to come to an end and be brought back as something better. The reason why you and me ruling over the cosmos is going to be the best thing that's ever happened."

"That's not the way it works." Nikki shook her head.

"Who said?" Johanna snapped. "Nikhole, why can't you be more like your cousins- Once they figured that the world needed to be renewed, they agreed that bringing chaos would make things better."

"They really are my family..." Nikki said more quietly. It almost sounded like she was asking herself a question. Her face was impassive, but I'm pretty sure she was feeling a little conflicted inside.

"Yeah- uh-huh." Johanna clapped her hands together. "And since I assume Harper has told you everything- I'm sure you know all about my family." She smiled brightly and chuckled a little.

"How did Hera have a daughter if she's locked away in the underworld, and how did you escape?"

"Ah, escape is such a pretentious word. Certain things you never truly escape." I squinted my eyes.