67. Our Next Move

We slept under the stars...

***

Zane

I snapped my eyes open and sat up quickly. I was breathing heavy and I looked around me. It was morning. By the way the sun was rising, it couldn't be after eight.

What the hell....

I took in my surroundings and I was around the pit in the middle of a circle where we were still gathered. Last night, I went walking and then Arden came- but it wasn't Arden and I kissed her and-

"You alright?" I heard someone ask. I looked to my left to see Ace staring at me with a raised eyebrow.

I blew out a breath before nodding my head. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine."

"You sure, looks like you just had  a nightmare." I could hear the teasing in his voice and he smiled. I rolled my eyes at him and stood.

"Where is everyone?" I asked looking around. Nikki, Armani, Perri, and Harper were still sleeping while the rest of the group were missing.

"They went for a walk, see if they could find anything to eat." Ace stated simply. Find anything to eat, what?

It's not like we're stranded. I admit we're in the middle of the forest and we're gonna be wandering a bit, but the hell are they gonna do?

Track down a damn bear and roast it over a fire?

"I know, it sounds crazy- I just figured they were bored or something." Ace continued. He was hunched over, his elbows resting on his knees. His blonde hair was dirty and and spiked, and you could tell he'd been through a lot. "You wanna talk about what's got you jumping out of your skin?"

I ran a hand down my face as I recalled the dream...or the memory. It felt real, but..I can't tell if it was a true or not. "I had a dream about Johanna."

"Shit," Ace cursed shaking his head. "Even in our sleep she won't leave us alone. What happened?"

I hesitated before explaining to him. "We were in the woods, and I thought it was Arden...but it wasn't. It took me off-guard-"

Ace was giving me a look and I immediately glared at him. "Okay, what?"

"What exactly were you and Arden doing in the woods, Zane? Was this a regular dream?" He chuckled.

I rolled my eyes as he laughed. "Oh come on, Ace- it wasn't like that-" He laughed. "I'm serious."

"I believe you." He replied. "I uh- I actually had a dream too." Ace was no longer wearing a smile- but his face was impassive. "I was in the maze again- the same stupid song in my head. Only this time, there were blurs of fire...blood...pure discord. It was a mess, Zane."