38. First Impressions

First impressions are always unreliable...

***

Arden

We all found ourselves back in the temple. This time, all of us were gathered around the pole, where we saw the markings.

"Damn it," I swore as I tried to calm my breathing. I instantly felt the tension between all of us. Perri's expression was one of confusion and it looked like he was thinking very hard about something. He looked angry and upset. Oh god.

I'm pretty sure Hayden never told Zane or Perri that Nova died. I mean, there was that vision when we were at Phlegethon, and Nova came out the river to ask Hayden for help. I'm guessing that's when she told him that she needed the Kai to escape the Underworld so they could be together again. Zane probably had an idea of what happened but I don't think he actually believed it. He probably didn't give it a second thought-

Wait, but there was that conversation on the plane where he brought it up-

"Alright," Hayden said lowly as he nodded his head. "That was...a lot-"

I noticed the way Ali was looking at Zane. Oh, shit. Then I noticed Ace. He looked like he was about to faint.

"No shit." He mumbled as he rubbed his head.

"You asshole." I heard Ali mutter. His eyes were now glowing a bright green and Zane looked like he wanted to disappear. He looked at Ali cautiously.

"Listen, Ali-" He started. "Remember, we're moving on from this-"

"Yeah, but how could you?" Ali asked dangerously. Zane's words got caught in his throat and he lifted his hands in defense.

"Nova's dead?" I heard Perri ask quietly. I bit my lip. Oh god. I feel like chaos was about to happen.

"Listen," I heard Zane. "It was over six months ago, I thought we could move on from this."

"Yeah, but it still hurts, Zane."

Hayden's voice rang in my ears next. "Yeah...uh, she-she died about two years ago." He responded lowly.

"And you didn't tell us?" Perri choked out. He looked even angrier now. "Why the hell wouldn't you tell us?"

"I couldn't-"

"Why not?" Zane asked forcefully, turning his attention to Hayden.

"Can we just- can we just calm down?" Armani whispered. She rested a hand on Ace's shoulder as he seemed to still be recovering from the vision.

"You know exactly how we feel about her, Hayden." Perri gritted out. "Why the hell wouldn't you tell us?!"

"I couldn't, okay!" He responded.