75. The Very Dark Queen

No one knows how much you really mean to me...

***

Arden

I was still in my spot, my eyes trained on the grand archway. "Who's that?" I asked quietly. As the woman neared, Hayden stepped forward.

A woman entered the Archive room, her eyes calculating. She was sort of short, with a plump body. Her hair was a bright brown and it ran down her back in waves. The woman was in an olive green dress that ran down to the floor and covered her arms. From where I was standing, I could see a necklace around her neck with a huge gem in the middle.

"Hayden?" The woman asked when she spotted him. Her eyes soon fell on me and her body seemed to tense up. Who was this? She obviously knew Hayden and Hayden seemed to know her as well.

"Mom?"

Mom?!

Wait, wait, wait....This is Hayden's mother? The one we were just talking about? How is she here? Why is she here? Hayden's mother was in his life? How?

I was utterly lost and confused. My mind was spinning with so many questions and thoughts. I was absolutely befuddled, to the point where I couldn't even move. I could only imagine the expression on my face right now.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" Hayden asked as he went to stand in front of her-his mother. Hayden's mom shrugged and tore her gaze off of me.

"I was actually just paying a short visit and I was looking for your father. I heard people in here, so I thought I'd find him here." She explained softly. Her voice was sweet and feminine. Hayden towered over her a little.

She furrowed her eyebrows as she fidgeted with her hands. "Why are you here?" She asked. "You're supposed to be on a trip- in Athens." Her voice had some authority in it. She sounded slightly accusing yet confused- as a mother would be.

"It's a...it's a long story." I heard Hayden mutter. His mom gave him a confused look before her eyes landed on me again.

Hayden followed her weird gaze and rubbed the back of his neck. "Oh um, that's just one of my friends." He said simply, thinning his lips together.

Hayden's mother looked at him again. "One of your friends?" She whispered.

"Yeah, yeah." He answered. "She just happens to be Athena's daughter."

Hayden's mom nodded slowly. "Oh, that explains a lot." She said lowly. She gave me a shy smile from where she was standing.

"Um, Mom, this is Arden." Hayden gestured me over and I managed to get my feet to move closer. "Daughter of Athena, and Arden...." I stood next to him. "This is my mother, Persephone."