60. Backstory

Johanna... knew nothing but darkness, pain, and twisted behavior

 knew nothing but darkness, pain, and twisted behavior

***

Arden

"Johanna came to you for help?" I asked, staring at Harper in the chair. She sat simply in front of me, her gaze anywhere but on us. She nodded.

"Why?" Nikki asked.

Harper hesitated before answering. "Harper, please." Zane spoke up. "I'm sure you understand what's at stake here, you have to tell us what you know about her- it could help us take her down."

There was a moment of silence and I studied Harper carefully. "There's going to be war, isn't there?" She asked quietly.

"Maybe," Ali answered. "But you can help us. Tell us what you know." 

"I guess I should start from the beginning."

"The beginning?" I asked. Harper nodded.

I listened intently as Harper began explaining- taking in everything she said, noting it.

"Zeus banished the goddess Hera from Olympus around one-thousand B.C to one-thousand A.D. She was no longer queen of the gods and Zeus punished her by hanging her by golden chains in the clouds. The pain was too much for Hera to handle...even the other gods witnessed the harsh consequences of her actions. Hera told Zeus she'd rather burn in Tartarus after he refused to set her free."

Harper was speaking lowly, and kept her eyes on the ground- like she was remembering everything she was telling us. "People say that Zeus never stopped loving Hera- that's why he granted her that wish. He sent her to Tartarus and sent a special group of gods to watch over her, including Hades." Harper shifted in her seat uncomfortably.

"None of the gods or goddesses or anyone -for that matter- really spoke about Hera once she was gone. No one ever saw her again, and not everyone knows what happened to her. A few years later, Zeus thought that Athena would be a great fit for another ruler. He crowned Athena queen of the gods and she took Hera's place as ruler of Olympus."

"No one knows for sure what kind of life Hera lived in the underworld, she was still a god- somewhat but she wasn't everything she used to be. Although there were people watching over her in the underworld, they were more like guards. Never interfere, contacted her or even knew what was happening to her. Their only job was to make sure that Hera stayed in the Underworld."

"So they wouldn't know if she had a child?" Ali made a suggestion.

"Probably not." Harper answered. I don't know how, but Hera was in contact with others in the underworld and she ended up having Johanna. Like the prophecy stated- there would be a new generation. Johanna... knew nothing but darkness, pain, and twisted behavior- it's where and how she was growing. She managed to stay hidden with her mother for eighteen years..."