Chapter 171

Elizabeth expected Bingley to claim Fitzwilliam and was prepared to share Jane with her father and Lydia, but the carriage turned out to contain another guest, the last person she had ever expected to see again, let alone at Pemberley. As Lydia practically flew at Jane, Elizabeth found herself addressed familiarly and heartily by a thickset man whom she had formerly hardly even considered an acquaintance, let alone a friend. What had gotten into Bingley to bring Mr Hurst to an intimate meeting of friends and relatives?

'Mrs Darcy, it is so good to see you, it has been such a long time! May I greet you properly, as a gentleman should a beautiful lady?'

What else could she do but offer him her hand to kiss, he seemed truly pleased to see her, and he was perfectly polite. Fitzwilliam would have to learn to control his feelings of jealousy, Mr Hurst was no competition no matter how charming he managed to be, and her beloved should know that.

'Thank you, Mr Hurst. You look a bit tired yourself, have you been well?'

Even as this rather blunt statement escaped her lips, Elizabeth worried a little, he did look the worse for wear, he was not in consumption, was he? Or liverish? People who overindulged sometimes fell prey to some wasting illness because of their bad habits, and to Elizabeth the indolent Mr Hurst was a prime candidate for such an affliction, especially since he seemed to have gained even more weight compared to the last time they met.

The formerly-so-bored-looking man smiled sweetly and calmly contradicted her.

'I am perfectly fine, Mrs Darcy, no fear. I've had a bit of a rough time to be sure, but nothing a few weeks of rest and moderation won't cure. Bingley used to threaten me with sports, but now I think some shooting and fishing or maybe even a bit of riding would not be such a bad thing. Fresh air and some exercise will do me a world of good. Or rambling, I seem to remember you doing a lot of that, maybe I can join you sometimes. I've been at Pemberley several times but I have never seen much of the grounds, maybe it is time to correct that omission.'

Mr Hurst looking for exercise and fresh air? Talking of moderation? What had happened in London to make him look so fagged and unhealthy?

'I can see you're incredulous about exercise and moderation in relation to my ample person, but apparently there is something as too much indulgence. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't lived it. I will tell you all about it, Mrs Darcy, maybe over a cup of plain tea or a healthy dinner, you will be tickled and yet undoubtedly too polite to show me your amusement. The self-indulgent Mr Hurst getting his due, I suppose I had it coming. Again, Mrs Darcy, I'm so pleased to meet you and in such bloom, and I cannot wait to tell you my sad, sad story.'

He did not look sad at all but rather pleased. Well, he had piqued Elizabeth's curiosity, but now she was going to find Jane and greet her as she deserved.

And such a glad meeting followed that Elizabeth couldn't remember ever having had a more moving reunion with her favourite sister, her best friend for as far back as she could remember. Fortunately they had both fallen in love almost simultaneously, or the sister left behind would have been as lost as Lady Catherine had been when her sister had decided to marry.

'Lizzy, do we have something to discuss in private?' Jane said, beaming. 'Everyone always said I was the beautiful one, but I am very certain that right now your bloom surpasses mine by far. Or is it just the clean country air, or being able to finally show your sister how wealthy your husband really is? Bingley tried to tell me but I never imagined Pemberley to be as grand as this!'

Dear Jane, she had such good humour these days, and to know instantly that something had changed about her sister.

'Everyone likes to brag, Jane, and we have had a very exciting week, but you are right, I cannot wait to have you to myself to give you some very welcome news.'