Chapter 35

The next day passes quietly, with their usual activities. But in the quiet hour just after lunch, Elizabeth asks Georgiana to put on the dress that needs a better fit, so they can adjust it before they leave for Hertfordshire.

Mrs Annesley is very interested to see the process of fitting a garment that has already been finished, she has her own dresses made by a seamstress and they work differently, fitting before they even put scissors to the fabric.

Pinning two new seams deftly, Elizabeth is satisfied with the result and hands the dress to Mrs Annesley, who not only seams very beautifully, but also very quickly.

Work done, Georgiana puts on the dress, and Mrs Annesley admits, 'You were right, Mrs Darcy, that was very easy to do, and it looks ever so much better. Will you wear it tonight, Miss Darcy?'

Tonight they are going out. Elizabeth is forcing her loved ones to accompany her to a play. It's a comedy, not too difficult, they have to start small, before it's too late and spring has arrived.

Once they have arrived in the old theatre, Darcy is reminded of the dingy circus he visited with Mrs Younge, and he observes, 'There is a place where I want to take all of you, though I suppose time is a bit short before we are off to Netherfield. But please remind me when we have returned, we should take Mr Fielding, too, he will probably appreciate it, and it's not inappropriate to take him if we go in a larger group. Bingley and your sister will want to see it, too.'

Elizabeth is merely glad she didn't wear the city-dress, she would have felt very out of place here and overdressed. Fanny's advice, to wear the beautiful copper necklace and a cap with a feather with one of her country chic dresses works really well, she feels fine, blending in with the rest of the visitors, as does Georgiana, despite her taller figure and her new dress.

Fitzwilliam does stand out, his tall figure and proud stance make him seem very imposing, despite him wearing his shoes instead of boots, and they have no problem at all to get to their box through a crowd moving towards the main hall, somehow people seem to make way for him.

When they return that night, after a pleasant evening out, they have just one more day left before they set off for Netherfield. Most of their belongings have already been packed, the little carriage will be heavily loaded with more than a week of fancy clothing, and of course Georgiana's sheet music and tuning gear.

The next day, Elizabeth accompanies Georgiana to her lesson, but with clear instructions from Fitzwilliam that if anything seems amiss, Mr Fielding can come to the house to speak to him whenever he needs to. Also during their stay at Netherfield, for Mrs Annesley has her instructions, and she will be at the house every day during Simon's absence.

Georgiana is eager for her lesson, but Elizabeth is afraid to find Mr Fielding in a depressed state, fallen out of grace with his patron.

As they enter the room with the piano, a Zumpe according to the lettering on the front, that must be the name of his patron then, Elizabeth can see no difference in Mr Fielding's demeanour. He's the same friendly teacher he has ever been, and he gladly teaches Georgiana his variegated scales, a trick she picks up in five minutes. As she is trying her new skill happily, Mr Fielding joins Elizabeth on the sofa for a moment, and talks to her in a low voice.

'I have not talked to my patron, yet, he's on a business trip outside London. I'm not sorry about that, I'd prefer him not to connect my insubordination to my visit to your house, it will make things easier. But facing Louisa is getting harder and harder.'

'Mr Darcy sends word, Mr Fielding, that if anything should happen, leaving you in need of a roof over your head or anything else, you can come to our house even while we're away. Talk to Mrs Annesley, and she will make arrangements. Don't hesitate to use his offer if in need, Mr Fielding, my husband likes you and does not make empty promises. You are welcome.'