Chapter 21

Now Darcy visits Bob on the box of the carriage, his driver seems relieved, but that is not enough. He deserves reparation for what happened, such a strong, calm spirit brought down to taking punishment without offering any resistance.

'I feel very bad about what was done to you under my roof, Bob,' Darcy says.

'Begging your pardon sir,' Bob retorts, showing some spirit once again, 'but how could you have known? Even Cook had no idea, and he was at work right next door. Theo is devilishly clever.

May I ask whether you confronted him too, sir? Bruce is not a really bad guy, you know, he just followed the others. Though he did continue blithely on his own, he did not feel any pity either.'

'I did not confront Theo yet, for I don't want the rest of the servants to know, I still need to see Janine at her worst. Theo at least will be dismissed without references, he abused his position to torment you, and he really enjoyed it, he should never have people working for him again.

I'm in doubt about Bruce, I told him you would decide on his fate. If you can still bear the sight of him he will be transferred to Pemberley, where he will learn the meaning of hard work as lowliest stable-boy under Mr Hugo. If you don't ever want to see him again, he will be dismissed.'

'But master, he has a mother and three or four siblings depending on him. He'll be lucky to be hired at the docks, and if not, they'll be in the poorhouse.' Bob seems very distressed at the thought, and he exclaims: 'Please don't let the poor mother and those girls suffer for their brother's foolishness. Let Master Hugo work the mischief out of him, he was often bored here, Master Hugo will work him to a thread, then teach him truly useful skills, and your people there will show him how to be a valued member of a team. Please don't ruin his life on my account, master, I will enjoy seeing him covered in muck, that is enough retribution.'

'So be it, Bob,' Darcy says solemnly, 'you're a better man than he is. I will give you one day to reconsider, let him stew in guilt and uncertainty that long. Don't speak to anyone about this and make sure he doesn't leave the stables or admits anyone in here to let them know it's time for retribution. You're bigger and stronger than him, I give you leave to restrain him with force if needed. I trust you will not abuse that privilege to get even.'

And with that, Darcy leaves the stable, to hear his sister's voice somewhere in the house. Georgie is here, better find Elizabeth to have lunch together, Janine's reckoning will have to wait. And who knows, maybe it will have to wait two more days.

Georgie is still in the hall, a good opportunity to study Theo again, and Darcy can see his sister handing him her coat, and Mrs Annesley doing the same. The butler's expression does not change. Good, at least Georgiana is no longer imposed on.

Having been greeted by her brother with a loving embrace and a few heartfelt kisses she immediately inquires: 'Where did you misplace Mrs Darcy, Fitzwilliam?'

He does feel a need to hold his beloved, he has seen some shocking scenes today, especially Theo's glee after tormenting Bob was appalling. Where might she be? 'I left her to explore, she can be anywhere in the house, let me go find her. See you in the dining-room in ten minutes?'

'Who needs ten minutes to find your beloved, Fitzwilliam? She's in the library of course, just fetch her from there. It'll take less than five. Unless you have plans to celebrate your reunion after having been separated for at least half an hour?'

'I have, yes,' he replies in the same spirit, 'so better make it ten minutes after all.'

But he does go straight to the library, where he indeed finds his beloved, browsing among the rows of books, lost to the world.