Chapter 10

Of course Bingley and himself ride over again the next day, and from the first moment it is clear that something has changed. No longer does Darcy have to fight his way inside through the asphyxiating chill of Mrs Bennet's icy hospitality, instead he is welcomed heartily, with a generous compliment on his coat, a less fashionable one but still rather becoming, and a warm handshake. It appears that Mrs Bennet has been informed of her daughter's engagement, and she is eager to show her approval.

His consciousness of Mrs Bennet's sudden acceptance of him probably having more to do with his fortune than his personality is not painful, he has as little affection for her as she has for him, and in a month or so their paths need cross very rarely anymore. But it is certainly much easier to be civil to a friendly person than to a frosty one, which will make Elizabeth's and his courtship that much more enjoyable. And fortunately Mrs Bennet's changed opinion of him does not cause to her claim his attention all the time, she clearly still favours Bingley for that office.

They do not walk out that day, but rather find a secluded spot in the garden, where they talk business mostly. Elizabeth agrees that a long courtship is not very desirable, with Darcy's sister in London and his estate even further away, they will be separated often when he is away to do his duties, a situation neither likes very much. Therefore Darcy suggests that he will get a special licence, allowing them to marry within the month the law proscribes for an engagement to last.

Since the time of the year means a wedding outside is more or less out of the question, they decide to have the ceremony in London, and stay there for the winter season, if Elizabeth can adapt to city life. When Darcy tells her about Georgiana's hope to do without Mrs Annesley and stay with them for most of the time, Elizabeth wishes very much to be of service to her new sister, and staying in town all winter is ideal for Georgiana's budding aspirations to become the best piano-player she can.

After so much dry talk, Elizabeth starts to show some signs of rising spirits, and indeed she soon makes Darcy very happy by teasing him to tell her how he ever managed to fall in love with her, a country girl of little fashion and no connections. Darcy relishes her playfulness, her wry humour, and they have a lovely hour of conversation, after which they carefully check their surroundings and indulge in a few secret kisses.

With their engagement approved of by her parents, Darcy dares to imitate Bingley in holding hands in public, and sitting very close to Elizabeth most of the time, talking and laughing together even throughout dinner, even when in company of Elizabeth's aunt Philips and the Lucases.

Marrying one of their own has clearly gained him some respect in their midst, but fortunately they do not treat him as familiarly as they do Bingley, or he would be stuck with one or the other of them for the entire evening!

Their three weeks of courtship pass by tranquilly, in the first week Darcy rides to town to get their licence and make arrangements for their wedding, which is to be quite a large affair after all, since Darcy feels a certain need to acknowledge his bride to all his friends and acquaintance after Lady Catherine's abuse of his dearly beloved. Having written her to announce his engagement, she has said such horrible things, and behaved so despicably towards Darcy's family, trying to get them to denounce his fiancée, that Darcy has begged Elizabeth to give his connections the chance to show him their allegiance and their acceptance of his choice.

Though not entirely resigned to being the shining focus of attention for so many people, most of whom she doesn't even know, Elizabeth does realise that he really needs to prove his devotion to her by doing this, and she allows him to take her to London to choose a stunning white gown, new dresses for her bridesmaids Georgiana, Kitty and Mary and even a new carriage.

Darcy has a ceremony arranged in an important church, and a party afterwards, the venue a beautiful historical building Elizabeth approves of wholeheartedly, set in the middle of a large park, with plenty of space in the main ballroom for everyone to dance.