Chapter 139

Looking at Mr Darcy, Nick was afraid he'd really gone too far this time. But Mrs Darcy had that effect on him, there was something about her that set him at ease, and her pert remarks just asked for a charming return. Mr Darcy had a reputation for being very jealous of his pretty young wife, and during their trip to Kent she had more or less confirmed that reputation to at least hold a grain of truth. And here Nick was flattering her right under Mr Darcy's handsome nose! His expression seemed merely thoughtful, but who knew why? Maybe he was planning ways to get rid of his cousin's irritating lover.

'You know I never realised Mrs Reynolds having been raised a lady either?'

Simon was so good at reading people's moods. And he wasn't afraid of breaking them.

'I used to consider her superior attitude a bit overdone, as well as her insistence on absolute order within the household. I did not like her having power over me, generally personal staff can get away with a almost anything as long as they please their master or mistress. But since Janine and Theo, and becoming a housekeeper myself, I have started to appreciate her ways more and more, and now I also understand them: she was raised to be the mistress of her own household, not run someone else's. Shall we fetch the lamps, Nick? We can be back by the time Mr and Mrs Darcy have admired the rooms we chose for our personal use.'

As Mr and Mrs Darcy nodded their approval of Simon's action, and Frederick once again showed his admiration of his lover openly, Nick was only too glad to escape their company for some time. It was so confusing to be familiar and respectful at the same time. How did Simon do it?

With satisfaction, Nick noted that Anne had already nudged her fiancée, who quickly wiped his bemusement off his face. It couldn't hurt here, among friends, but he shouldn't form the habit.

'She really likes you, Nick,' Simon observed once their companions had moved towards the large room with the magnificent table, and they were themselves descending the staircase.

'I remember feeling her disapprobation when she first came to town, right after their honeymoon. She thought I was too familiar with her husband, and she disapproved of Mr Darcy favouring me over the rest of the staff. I suppose she was right, Mr Darcy's favour did cost me because the other servants were jealous and decided to make my life miserable over it.'

'I can imagine how you must have felt, Simon, unable to look for help for fear of exposure. Do you really think Mrs Darcy likes me? Should I stay out of her way? She as good as confirmed the rumours that her husband is very jealous of her attentions.'

'I wouldn't worry if I were you, she is not attracted to you in that way, it's just her liveliness towards someone she is starting to consider a friend. It took me months to get to that stage from being considered a personal servant who lacked proper respect. You merely accompanied her on a two-day trip. It must be your famous skills with the ladies.'

That was a very dangerous road for people's minds to travel, Nick hoped Mr Darcy at least would not take it. To hope that they didn't know of his past as a philanderer was futile, Anne had told him Mrs Darcy had found out from the staff. He merely hoped they could see how much he loved Anne, that his roving eye was a thing of the past.

'I'm sure the Mrs Darcy you met was not the same who proposed to take me to Kent and let me ride inside the carriage with Anne and herself, Simon. I think she must have been a little more like the Miss de Bourgh I met at the Blackwoods', used to servants being invisible and unheard. You probably were the one to teach her we are people, too.'

'I suppose it was me, and Fanny did her share. Say, Nick, you do realise Dora is head over heels with you, don't you? You cannot keep pretending everything is just jolly, you'll have to address this sooner or later. Preferably sooner, since she will have a difficult time being left behind in the servants' quarters.'