Chapter 5

The next morning, on the banks of the stream, he introduces Mr Gardiner to all his friends, and as a true gentleman his guest fits right in. They spend a very pleasant morning fishing for trout, and during an interesting conversation on overseas trade, Mr Gardiner suddenly mentions: 'Did I tell you my wife and my niece were planning to return your sister's extreme courtesy yesterday, by paying her a visit this morning? I thought you might want to know. They should be arriving about now, I guess.'

Well, that is a hint and no mistake! Mr Gardiner, and no doubt Mrs Gardiner, for this communication betrays the mind of a lady, apparently approve of his acquaintance with their niece, and on impulse he tests this theory by airily stating: 'Georgiana will be delighted with their attention. I'm glad they know we're engaged by the river, so they won't miss our presence.'

But Mr Gardiner is not taking the bait, he is a real fisherman even though he lives in the middle of town. And a sharp-minded businessman as well: 'I suppose they don't expect you to be there, they will be well-entertained by Miss Darcy, they both liked her a great deal.' And he continues their conversation where he left off.

But Darcy's tranquillity is shattered, she's here, in his very house, and Mr Gardiner told him she is, intentionally. That doesn't mean Elizabeth is more inclined to like him, but it does mean Darcy has a strong advocate in her closest circle.

Finally, he cannot control himself anymore, and he tries to sound as cool as possible as he says: 'I think I should pay my respects to the ladies, Georgiana may feel overwhelmed, she just sixteen after all. With your permission, I will be back in half an hour.'

Without the slightest triumph in his voice, he is a successful businessman after all, Mr Gardiner observes: 'I totally agree with you, Mr Darcy, your presence at the house may be required. And I will certainly not take it amiss if you spend half an hour on my niece, she's not just her father's favourite you know. My own children are still very young, you see.'

And without further comment, Darcy bows to him and leaves the stream behind for some time.

On his way to the house, doubts start to creep up on him, apparently he hasn't been able to hide his admiration for Miss Elizabeth from anybody, and he knows he will blush when he sees her again. But is that a reason to avoid her? Georgiana said he needs to show her his love, and though that is still a bit much to ask, turning up and being friendly will eventually have the same effect. Hopefully.

Sitting in the saloon with Mrs Annesley and both Mr Bingley's sisters, with all the men off to the stream for some fishing, Georgiana feels cheated somehow. These are not her friends, and still she is supposed to entertain them, when she could be practising scales or reading a book. Now she cannot do anything more exciting than some dull needlework, and listen to the others talking.

Why do ladies have to talk so incessantly? It is and always has been a great riddle to Georgiana. Fitzwilliam and herself never talk all the time when they are together, they mostly read, or she plays and he listens, and sometimes they discuss a book, or a piece of music, and then they go on doing what suits them. When she is by herself with only Mrs Annesley as company, they do the same, Mrs Annesley is fond of needlework and she is very proficient at it, but she can sew in silence and leave Georgiana to her own pursuits, without distracting her with chatter or forcing her to speak.

But when they have company, and Mr Bingley's sisters unfortunately count as such, Mrs Annesley insists on Georgiana joining in the conversation, and only playing the piano at certain times that are supposed to be suitable for entertainment. But entertainers must practise, mustn't they, or they will never learn to play really well, and they will always grate on their audience's ears.

Somehow, it's just not fair, but what can a girl do about it? Fitzwilliam has given her the choice of having a lady companion or accompanying him everywhere, and that would mean meeting lots of strangers and even fewer quiet evenings. And no room of her own with a piano to practise on most days. Or playing reels all night. Or listen to other ladies perform, ladies who do not practise enough.