Chapter 158

Elizabeth wondered why Anne was so demonstratively seeking Frederick's embrace, it was not like her to want to agitate her mother by doing something that was at the very least considered improper in public. Somehow it seemed that Anne was actually a bit out of sorts, and in fact that wasn't all that remarkable: Anne hadn't wanted to see her mother at all, not yet. First she needed to find it in her to forgive the arrogant woman who had more or less delivered her own daughter to an incompetent surgeon, favouring her nephew above her very own child, and causing the latter great harm. Frederick was comforting her at the risk of insulting his new mother-in-law, and whilst he wasn't particularly set on propriety he did want most people to like him. Though Lady Catherine might be the only exception.

At least Anne was relishing his embrace, she had to yearn to have Nick close, but he could not come into the drawing-room without an invitation whilst they had visitors. When Elizabeth had seen him just before they left the stable area he had been in conversation with one of Lady Catherine's servants, apparently the one he hoped would succeed him in Dora's affections. If he had known how seeing her mother again would hurt his beloved Anne he'd have been in agony, better she tell him tonight, she had plenty of support here for now.

Fitzwilliam looked as perfectly handsome as ever, greeting his aunt a lot kinder than she deserved. Of course they had not taken the time to make love before they'd dressed, though they certainly did spend some time on each other. They had decided to greet aunt Catherine first, then look for Mr Collins, let him sweat it out a little.

'If he is at all polite I suppose I shall have to tolerate his presence, my aunt is still imposing on him and he will never be able to resist her,' her beloved had said, and Elizabeth made sure to show her approval as clearly as she could, not for her cousin's sake, but for Fitzwilliam's. She was convinced that resentment was as bad for the person sticking to it as for the one suffering under it.

Aunt Catherine had been in the house for more than an hour by now but Elizabeth couldn't see any sign of her being terribly put out by Fitzwilliam's prolonged absence. She actually seemed a bit less haughty than at other times, and she wasn't even here as the supplicant.

Then Prince George caught her eye with a small, unobtrusive gesture and winked. Had he managed this? Of course he was the heir to the throne, but Elizabeth didn't think Lady Catherine looked as if she was in the presence of the Crown Prince. Somehow, she could not believe that Lady Catherine could be with a prince and not show him deference, in that she expected Fitzwilliam's aunt to be just like Mr Collins: treading on the lower ranks but obeisant to those above them. Unfortunately for Mr Collins, substantially more people were above him, even his penniless, cut-out cousin Elizabeth was these days. And Jane, and Kitty.

'I'm Lord Chester for now, Mrs Darcy,' a humorous voice said behind Elizabeth. Prince George had moved to stand behind her, and spoke quietly. 'I hope your husband won't inadvertently give it away.'

'I don't think so, Lord Chester,' Elizabeth replied as softly. 'I suppose it's rather obvious she doesn't know your real rank, though she is a lot less overwhelming than usual.'

'I'm afraid that may be my fault, I promised Mrs Manners to keep her mother out of her hair in absence of both her husband and her faithful shadow. I'm afraid I overdid it a little, I tend to talk too much, I've heard that often enough and yet I cannot seem to help myself. And now Mrs Manners is seeking solace with her husband, he looks positively tender. I'm so jealous.'

'Lord Chester, I'm both diverted and scandalised. I've always had a secret hope someone would put Lady Catherine firmly in her place and you seem to have done that quite adequately. But Frederick is truly a very good man and he makes Anne very happy. You may be jealous, but do not underestimate his qualities.'