Chapter 90

The visit is a great success for all parties involved. Well, at least for Anne and her friends.

At first, Anne is a little apprehensive over their reception, she and Darcy have not been very close for at least a decade, and there is that little thing between them. She is rapidly coming to terms with his marriage, in hindsight Anne wonders whether she could ever have been happy with a righteous, rather unbending man like him. Elizabeth is so playful, she is just perfect for him, Anne can imagine her fearlessly teasing him out of his shell. Though it may have taken her quite a lot of courage at first to challenge Mr Darcy's dignity, he was so impressive in Miss Elizabeth Bennet's presence.

Anne realises she is mostly afraid that Darcy will be resentful, that he will be displeased to have her visit him because he has not yet forgiven her for claiming him against his wishes. She does not fear Elizabeth's reaction, which is actually surprising. But somehow she knows Mrs Darcy is kindly inclined towards her, whatever the impression she made when they first met at Rosings. Elizabeth is not the kind to hold grudges, Darcy is.

But her fears prove unnecessary. When the butler announces them to the party assembled in the lovely, fashionable drawing-room, they are received with the greatest cordiality by Darcy and Elizabeth, and by Mr Manners. After the formal introductions are made, they sit down, Angelina and Sophie showing some of their disappointment at the absence of their idol. But all is not yet lost, for soon servants bustle in with everything needed to enjoy the coffee associated with a morning visit, and Mrs Darcy, now really the hostess and not just her cousin's lively partner, addresses one of the servants. Anne can only discern 'Georgiana' and 'Eric' in what she is saying, but that's enough, Anne knows Eric is Mr Fielding's first name.

That is a pretty familiar way to talk to a servant, even such a handsome one, but Anne seems to remember the fellow from Darcy's numerous past visits to Rosings: it's his valet Simon, who never did know his place, something maman wasn't above noticing and complaining to Mrs Jenkinson about. Anne has no clue what a valet is doing serving coffee, but that is none of her business anyway. He leaves the room and surely enough, shortly afterwards the door opens and Georgiana and Mr Fielding enter the room. Together, and obviously very much in love.

But Sophie and Angelina don't care at all. Their rather dark and plain faces light up in adulation, and the resulting shyness seems to have them glued to their very comfortable chairs. And now Georgiana proves to her cousin that she has indeed grown in more than grace and beauty, for she unhesitatingly glides towards their visitors and kisses Anne, then shakes hands familiarly with the girls.

'It's so good to meet you, Miss Blackwood and... Oh, I'm so sorry, you must think I'm terribly rude, I know you are Miss Sophie and you are Miss Angelina, but I've only heard you were twins, not which one of you is the elder.'

Georgiana does not feel the embarrassment her words express, Anne is sure of that. She is merely showing her interest in a very polite way. The girls nearly swoon, though they are substantially older than Georgiana and obviously very worldly-wise. Angelina is the first to find her voice.

'Oh, Miss Darcy, please don't feel bad about that. Most people cannot even tell us apart! I'm so honoured you know our names! You could not have known which one of us is the elder, for our parents have ever kept that a secret. They do not want people to treat us differently, it would be so hard on the youngest. So neither of us is Miss Blackwood, we're just Sophie and Angelina, as you said!'

Sophie has also managed to get up from her chair, and she curtsies elegantly and dares to say something, too.

'Thank you, Miss Darcy. You are so beautiful, and your dresses are always stunning.'

Now Georgiana shows a tiny bit of true feeling, she still finds it hard to be treated with adulation, but Anne is sure only a keen observer who has known her for years will notice it.