Chapter 170

Papa's obvious concern had a profound effect on his son-in-law. Like Fitzwilliam, Wickham probably feared his father-in-law's sarcasm, and with more reason. This kind inquiry almost sounded like a premonition, as if papa feared Wickham's fate in France.

By now they were all sitting down in old-fashioned but reasonably sound chairs, Wickham having taken care that Elizabeth got the most comfortable one, as if she needed cosseting. But she understood his wanting to show her respect and thanked him for his kindness, though a bit more formally than she actually wanted to. It wouldn't do to incite his preference, he was obviously not free from it, yet.

The fireplace was large for the size of the cottage and a merry fire kept the entire space comfortably warm without causing this seating area to be sweltering. Above the fireplace was a broad mantle made out of a single massive oaken beam, almost too large for the size of the room but somehow fitting the style. On top of it was a collection of curiosities that Elizabeth would have liked to study for a few moments, if papa's question hadn't brought a certain tense atmosphere to the room. This wasn't the time for chat and niceties, apparently this was to become a moment for serious conversation. But if an opportunity yet presented itself she would like to know why one would keep a flat piece of rock on one's mantle. The pretty little weasel standing on a gnarled branch she could understand, it was a perfect adornment of this room, but a piece of slate in a drab grey colour?

'I'm glad you asked, Mr Bennet, you have been a true friend to me although I still don't understand why. I would have broken your youngest daughter's heart, left her robbed of her honour and her friends, and blamed her for her own folly. The life I led was a blemish to my father and the late Mr Darcy's best efforts to make a man out of me. By risking my life for King and country I can only hope to make up a little bit for what I did to your daughter and others. And yet you are kind to me, hear me out when I need to clear my mind, why?'

Papa didn't say anything in reply for in the silence right after Wickham's rather grandiose statement Deirdre the housekeeper came in, bearing a tray with a pot of tea, cups and saucers and some dubitable-looking cookies. Instead of merely thanking her and getting rid of her, Wickham let her pour tea for each of them, and offer them the plate with the treats. Imitating Wickham's consideration towards his friend they all took one, it wouldn't do to seem above their company, and the treats might actually be fresh and edible.

'Deirdre's cookies are delicious, Mrs Darcy, though I guess you have had the best of what London has to offer.'

So there was to be some meaningless chat after all, for Deirdre's benefit. Well, Elizabeth was happy enough to oblige.

'I think I have, Lieutenant Wickham, did you know I spent an afternoon and an evening at Carlton House? Prince George employs two French confectioners, and their creations were as beautiful as statues, though they were really cakes and sweets. They use chocolate and oranges and some exotic fruits and condiments I don't even know the names of. It was delicious, and yet I have tasted better pie in our very own village.'

'That must be Mrs Brewer's work then, Mrs Darcy. She has a reputation for her pies and sweets all over this neighbourhood, but I've never tasted anything she made. Did you really get to see the prince? What was he like? I cannot believe you say Mrs Brewer's pie is better!'

'It was indeed Mrs Brewer's pie, and I thought it was as good as what those Frenchmen made, since they had the advantage of all those expensive ingredients and still Mrs Brewer's pie was at least as good. But of course I'm not an expert, and I have been known to have a very simple taste in food. Prince George is very nice, very smart and educated, and very charming as well. Not as handsome as the lieutenant, though.'

That brought the attention back to Wickham and Deirdre beamed on him, then picked up the tray and said, 'Well, I wish you a good time together,' and went straight back to where she had come from. The tea was better than Elizabeth had expected, and so was the cookie. There wasn't much sugar in the tea but plenty of cream, and somehow that suited Elizabeth's changing taste exactly, hopefully she wouldn't develop even stranger cravings or worse, aversions to certain flavours.