Chapter 36

Jane is beside herself with joy to see her sister again, and Bingley also shows his gladness clearly. As Elizabeth is received at Netherfield with a warm and loving hug of her favourite sister, Darcy and Georgiana receive a similarly warm welcome from Bingley, who shakes hands with both with intense pleasure.

'It has been far too long Darcy, though you look fantastic, positively thriving and happy. Married life must agree with you.'

Darcy is also very happy to see his good friend again, he has missed his friendly face, and their comfortable closeness, though something will be different with both of them married.

'Miss Georgiana, your brother's marriage agrees with you, too, no doubt about that. Something is different about you, though I cannot say what, exactly. It'll come to me yet. You are very welcome, too, and not just to me. I have a guest who is just dying to meet you, though he will not recognise you from our descriptions. He is expecting a girl, and he will be introduced to a woman. That's it!'

Bingley is mighty pleased with himself.

'That's what is changed, you became a woman!

But please, do come in, it's cold and you'll be tired from the road. As soon as I've greeted my new sister, Mrs Darcy.'

Elizabeth hugs Bingley as if he really is her brother, this is a totally different reception from what she expected, she thrives in the informal, loving atmosphere.

Bingley looks at Elizabeth with true admiration, and asks, 'Did I see you fly down the long slope behind the house on a horse just now, Lizzy? Jane said that just wasn't possible, and I did eat quite a heavy lunch this afternoon, so I admit I may have been seeing things in the low light. Still, you're in a riding dress, and I can imagine life with Darcy can be hard if one doesn't ride.'

Bingley calling his sister-in-law, his friend's wife, Lizzy? When Darcy himself hasn't gotten past Elizabeth yet? Yet Elizabeth is not insulted or even surprised at all. She merely confirms his observation.

'I don't know about your lunch, Bingley, but I most certainly arrived on horseback. Which I can assure you I am feeling at the moment, I've muscles aching I had forgotten about since our first week at Pemberley during our honeymoon.'

'A bath is being filled for you as we speak. Let's go in, I'll tell you how much I admire you when you've recovered a little. Did you meet Mr Bennet in town, did he arrive in good health? And did he return with you as he planned?'

Bingley has taken Elizabeth's arm, and Jane is talking to Georgiana in a surprisingly familiar way, so Darcy takes his wife's other arm, a support she gladly accepts, though her touch is light, she's still walking by herself.

'My father did indeed show up one afternoon, we had a good time together, and he came back with us, until he turned off towards Longbourn not half an hour ago.'

'I should have informed him that his first son-in-law would not be staying with us, I feel responsible for driving him out of his home.'

Elizabeth smiles at her friendly brother and soothes him, 'I assure you he did not reproach you with anything. Fitzwilliam made it up to him by showing my father the library, after which he forgot every discomfort or fear for his own library.'

'That is a relief to hear, I was afraid he'd blame me, though Jane said he wouldn't. I have to admit I'm still a bit afraid of his sarcasm.'

Ha, so Darcy was not the only one to fear his father-in-law!

'Shall we leave you to freshen up for an hour or so in your own rooms, then meet for tea and a nice long chat to catch up? I'm afraid Caroline is here, Darcy, but I suppose she will have to get used to matters as they are now sooner or later.