Chapter 77

'Mr Goodfellow! So good of you to turn up!'

Manners even knows the scrawny fellow by name!

Which actually stuns the reporter even more than Eric, he almost starts, recovers incredibly quickly, then replies politely, 'Mr Manners, you know my name! I'm very flattered.

And Mr Fielding, it's such an honour to meet you in person. To be noticed by three such illustrious men, I never expected my trip to Mr Darcy's house to have such an outcome.'

Manners has offered to do the talking this time, and Eric hopes to discover the trick of conversing with reporters by observing him.

Though Eric unknowingly has one distinct advantage over either gentleman, his inability to judge people according to class makes him treat everyone respectfully; while Manners may associate with lower classes freely, he unconsciously still shows some feeling of superiority. Somehow, he does talk down to a common reporter and is not even aware of it, as he wasn't aware of making decisions for Simon without consulting him first, something Eric had to point out to him.

Of course, Eric has to greet the reporter himself, and he does so handsomely, feeling less nervous than he thought he'd be, having Darcy and Manners present must mean he's pretty secure from making large blunders.

'Mr Goodfellow, so good to finally meet. I'm sorry to have to ask, but was the review on the culture page in today's Times from your hand?'

'It was, Mr Fielding, and it's our pleasure as reporters to stay as anonymous as possible, it's the news that matters, not who gets to write about it. Though I'm glad my editor sent me to cover the Charity Ball, even if it meant hovering on the sidelines, not daring to put myself forward among the highborn. Thank you so much, Mr Darcy, for allowing me entrance to your house, I really didn't expect that.'

Now Manners takes over, and observes, 'Well, Mr Goodfellow, of course that is not altogether Mr Darcy's excellent nature doing a reporter a good turn. There is a measure of self-interest involved, you're certainly the only reporter who seems to care in the slightest what Mr Fielding's music sounds like. The others appear to be more interested in his past and his love-life.

Feel free to ask any question of any of us, but when writing your article, please remember it should be about Mr Fielding's music, not so much his private situation.'

The reporter merely bows, he is still rather impressed by Manners, and rightly so, that gentleman can be pretty forceful. Still Mr Goodfellow manages to ask very sensible questions, actually starting with a question that enables Eric to tell him the most important information he has to share.

'Mr Fielding, those compositions you played last of all, I was so struck with the emotion they contained, I'd love to know where and how you found them, and how you worked up the courage to be the first pianist in London to play such unabashedly romantic music to an audience that has the reputation of being rather conservative.'

'Do you want me to be totally honest, Mr Goodfellow?' Eric asks, as a kind of introduction to what he is going to reveal to the reporter.

'Yes, please,' the little man replies eagerly.

'Before I read your article I didn't even realise there was such a thing as romantic music. I used to live a very sheltered life, and did not keep abreast of what was happening in the world, or even what was happening in the world of music. My former patron introduced me to certain people who advised him and thus me. Romantic music was never part of that, I guess they didn't want me to play it.'

Puzzled, the man asks, 'But how did you get hold of these compositions, then? I thought you chose them with great care, they were so daring, so feeling.'