Chapter 23

Georgiana hails another cab, and as they drive towards home she says: 'You won't tell Fitzwilliam he's in love with me, will you? You know he said I could marry a pianist, but since I'm not even in love with Eric I would rather not test the truth of that statement. I feel a bit sorry for Eric, though I suppose it's the same feeling I have when he plays, only since he's older it's more serious.

If he sticks it out until I'm eighteen I may take Fitzwilliam up on his promise, Eric's so beautiful, and so talented. Ánd nice, I think I could love him, if I can love anyone. That music he wrote, can you believe how good that was?'

Of course Georgiana knows, and knows Elizabeth knows. Again, she's way more subtle than anyone realises. 'I agree that it's better not to test your brother until you are serious about it, but I once promised him to tell him everything I had on my mind. I will try to keep this a secret, but I cannot promise you anything, Georgiana, I love him, and withholding something on purpose just feels wrong. I feel sorry for Mr Fielding, though, he seems very sweet.'

Since the cat is out of the bag anyway, Elizabeth asks: 'I would love to hear him play that entire piece, do you suppose he'd come and perform it for us? Your brother might help him find someone to teach him.'

'But then he'll leave London,' Georgiana nearly panics, 'and I'll be left without teacher!'

'Isn't there anyone in London then? Is he that good?'

'Vienna, or Prague, maybe some German city, maybe Paris or Rome, masters like that are very rare. It'd cost a fortune. Eric could do so much better as a composer, but he's stuck on becoming a performer in the prime venues. If he asked me, I'd tell him to perform in London to make a living, but to spend most of his time composing, not on practising for hours to get rid of one tiny mistake no-one but himself and three other people in the entire world can hear. Maybe Fitzwilliam can give him a push onto the stage, Eric'd find out soon enough that's not what he wants from life. Eric was made to compose.

Do you think he could control himself before Fitzwilliam? My brother is very observant, and he's so very much in love himself, don't you think he'd notice immediately?'

Elizabeth has to admit: 'I do, he'd know the moment Mr Fielding crossed the doorway. And I seriously don't know whether I could convince him there is no harm in continuing your lessons. We've only really known each other for maybe two months, Georgiana, before that we just exchanged politenesses, nothing more. You may know Mr Fielding better already than I knew Fitzwilliam when I accepted his offer. It was his love for me and Mrs Reynolds' testimony that convinced me we would be an excellent match.'

'His love for you is rather endearing, and he did suffer so much under your rejection and ill-opinion, though he knew it was his own fault. If Eric were to become so unhappy I might fall in love with him to stop his pain. That sounds like a bad reason to fall in love, but you just told me it worked for you.'

'Mr Fielding will not be so unhappy, for he knows his love is the result of admiration for your talent, and he will be able to bring that talent to bloom. And you like him, admire his talent, accept his affection as far as you can. How can he become unhappy spending time with you? He realises you're young and above his station, he promised to fight his inclination.

I just worry about Fitzwilliam, I don't like to keep things from him, but I don't want to risk him getting angry when I tell him, either. Have you ever seen him in a rage?'

'I haven't,' Georgiana replies, 'he was icy cold to Wickham. You know, I still don't understand how I could believe myself in love with Wickham, Eric is clearly in love with me and I think of him as nothing more than a teacher and possibly a friend.'