Chapter 64

Chapter 64

Before Mr Manners can comment, they reach the party-room and enter, fortunately Eric behind Mr Manners once more, for in the group of workers placing the piano to Mr Lascelles' exact instructions, he immediately recognises the man who delivered his own piano to Mr Darcy's house, what was his name again?

He cannot come up with it this quickly, but he does know this man should not see him and he pulls Mr Manners' coat and turns around and leaves the room before the man standing in front of him can even ask him what's up.

Outside in the hall, Eric starts to realise this is the man who told the reporter that Eric was intimate with Miss Darcy, and while Mr Darcy didn't blame Eric in the least for that damned article, Eric still smarts under the implications, no matter how true they are. Probably because they are true.

An uncharacteristic anger comes over him, and he feels like going in there, and giving the man a piece of his mind, though a tiny reasonable part of him urges him that is not a good idea at all.

'Philip, you look seriously put out, remind me to never make you angry, you seem so innocuous and sweet mannered, but obviously you have some steel in you. Please calm down and tell me what you saw in there. Wrong brand piano? Did they abuse it? They did come highly recommended.'

He does know how to find the right tone for everyone, Mr Manners. But Eric is still so upset he blurts out, 'That man moved my piano to Mr Darcy's place and told all kinds of lies to a reporter about me and Miss Darcy. I thought Mr Darcy'd certainly kick me out as a result, but he didn't. He said it was his fault for accidentally dropping my name to the guy.

He also said it was great publicity. But nonetheless I want to give him a piece of my mind, that loose-mouthed idiot, he almost ruined my life! Again!'

'Calm down, Philip!

If he's a reporter or in league with one, he should not see you here. Grenfell says Darcy guards his sister beyond reason, but he would never be unfair, you cannot help what a reporter makes up about you.

So you were in the papers? I never spotted it, but Darcy was right, its great advertising.

Now you let me handle this. I'll give him some interesting facts to blabber to the reporter, no-one must find out what we are really planning here.

You stay here and control yourself!'

Suddenly, Eric understands Mr Grenfell a lot better, this is not a request from Mr Manners but an order, and it's not negotiable. Well, Eric's anger has been cooled enough to see the sense in it, and he merely peeks to see what Mr Manners says to the delivery-man.

Of course he cannot understand a word of what is said, but they chat very familiarly, and by the time the men are done and come towards the door to leave, the tradesman obviously is great friends with Mr Manners.

Apparently, no-one gainsays him.

Eric disappears into a little recess in the hall until the men have passed by, then he enters the room.

'Did they see you?' Mr Manners asks, in a totally different voice, very friendly, almost soft.

'They didn't. I peeked and saw them coming, so I hid in a little corner while they were in the hall.'

'Thank you so much, Eric, I'm sorry I addressed you like that, you're not mine to command, and had you obeyed to the letter, as people tend to do that tone of voice, the guy would have walked right into you.

I'm also sorry for using your real name just now, but there's just Lascelles here and he knows anyway. Please don't think I disrespect you, Eric, in fact I have the highest opinion of you and would very much like to be less formal with you. Will you do me the honour of calling me Frederick in private and Manners in public?'