Chapter 54

It is not easy to get Elizabeth by herself for an hour or so. Her brother and sister are sticking to each other as if Fitzwilliam's absence has been months instead of a mere day and night. And of course she cannot ask where Fitzwilliam can hear, he'll want to know what it is about, and Georgiana has not enough confidence in him to let him in on her feelings when they are still so unsettled. She can only bide her time and wait for an opportunity to present itself.

Elizabeth and Darcy are indeed very close once again. They ride out each day and talk to their friends, Elizabeth doesn't feel the need to retreat from the company with Jane to talk in private, she prefers to stick with her beloved.

Darcy finds himself watching Manners and Georgie from time to time, comparing them to Georgiana and Mr Fielding together, trying to catch either of them showing some sign of love towards the other, but without the least success.

Georgie frankly seems more at ease with Mr Manners, but somehow that doesn't suggest she likes him better. She admitted to idolising Mr Fielding, sitting very close to one's idol all of a sudden, having him in her own house, must be rather disconcerting. Yet they seemed to understand each other without much spoken conversation, something a shared passion might explain rather well.

And reversely, he knows Mr Fielding loves Georgie, but what does Manners feel?

The man is either a born actor, hiding his better feelings, or he doesn't actually love the woman he seems to be pursuing with the intent to marry her.

Frankly, if he had to describe Manners' behaviour to Georgie, it would be brotherly. He is sure any neutral observer would see the similarities between Darcy interacting with Georgie, and Manners' familiar way of talking to her.

Well, he hasn't declared his love to her, so he's not trying to fool her or anything. And Manners is still excellent company, he will be a pleasant addition to their group at Christmas, a perfect time to study him some more.

Miss Bingley is spreading her attention between all the visiting gentlemen equally, she doesn't seem to have a favourite anymore. Simon explains why, one evening as they are being helped to undress.

'Miss Bingley doesn't know why Mr Grenfell went away so suddenly, she thinks he has urgent business to attend to. She is planning to visit him at his estate, having been invited to spend some weeks there in spring.

Which is why she is merely amusing herself now, not trying to form a real bond with anyone.'

Poor Fanny doesn't understand at all, causing her to be very forward and comment.

'Why doesn't Mr Bingley warn his sister that Mr Grenfell is bad news?'

She is very surprised to have her master answer her question, all other servants show him such deference, she feels a bit caught to have his full attention, but he is rather nice.

'I don't understand myself, Fanny, but Mr Manners and Mr Bingley reason that when he has served their punishment, his offence is forgiven, and he should not be reproached with it anymore.

My opinion is, that any woman who wants to connect her future to him, wants to put her life in his hands, should know what he is capable of. Still, Miss Bingley is not my sister, I have no right to get involved unless she asks me directly.'

The girl nods, apparently there are things that even Mr Darcy has no influence on. Fortunately she doesn't live in this Mr Grenfell's household, and fortunately he will never be welcome in any of Mr Darcy's houses.

As their days pass by quietly in Hertfordshire, in the London house, Eric gets the fright of his life.

Because the number of servants in the house has grown by the day, he is taking his breakfast in the breakfast-parlour by himself. Ever since he wrote down the music in his mind the day before yesterday, when Georgiana left, he has settled quite a lot, and he doesn't mind being by himself all the time.