CHapter 147

Chapter 147

Fitzwilliam had postponed finishing his letter to Colonel Drummond until after he'd faced the older man's challenge. She knew he would have liked to do more to prove his mettle, the colonel had distinguished himself in the revolutionary wars in France, and Fitzwilliam might consider himself lacking in bravery compared to an army officer who had been on active duty five times. And riding was very likely the only field in which Fitzwilliam was more daring than the colonel. But there really was no need to prove anything, Fitzwilliam had responsibility to his tenants, and the colonel to his regiments, and they both had to discharge that responsibility as best they could. Why the need to be more daring than another man?

After reading the letter, which contained an invitation to both the colonel and his wife to visit during the hunting season, Elizabeth decided she'd go and see Mrs Reynolds to make the final arrangements for the tour of the house, March was coming to an end and the weather seemed to be warming daily. Soon people would start requesting to view the house, and while Mrs Reynolds loved to lead them around, she also liked to have her mistress' opinion on what to tell them and what not.

Expecting to find the housekeeper in the common-room, Elizabeth made her way there first, but instead of the housekeeper, now back to work entirely but still excellent friends with Mrs Eliot, she found Fanny, hemming what seemed to be a large embroidered table cloth. Though surprised to find her mistress in the servants' quarters, Fanny curtseyed politely but not humbly, still, she seemed a lot less independent than whenever she was in Elizabeth's own dressing room. Well, in a way it was not surprising that an elderly lady like Mrs Annesley or Mrs Reynolds inspired more respect in a young woman than Elizabeth, who was very young and rather familiar with her personal maid.

'Mrs Darcy, can I help you?'

'Yes, please, Fanny, I'm looking for Mrs Reynolds.'

'I think she is in the cellar, ma'am, I can fetch her for you if you like. Though I think she will be back soon, she left when I started and I'm nearly done.'

'In that case I'll wait, and you can tell me how things are going here. You know, with Bob, and Dora, and all the others.'

Fanny did not hesitate but merely fell into the comfortable mood she usually displayed when working on Elizabeth's toilette, more familiar towards her mistress though still hard at work. She was one of those people who could perform a rather precise task and still talk sense.

'Let me see, ma'am, I'll start with Bob. He is very happy to be back here, and I can see why, it's like having a large family. Everyone has been so nice to us, even Bruce. And everyone has been nice to Bruce, that could have been different, people like Bob so much, they might have tried to get back at Bruce but they didn't. Bob is everything I hoped for in a husband, caring, sweet, but he puts his foot down these days when he knows he is right, and not just to me. Bruce wants to return to town, and Bob is teaching him how to keep the horses trim and eager when living confined. And our rooms are lovely, ma'am.'

'And how does living in the country suit you, Fanny?'

'Excellent, though I miss my mum and sisters and brothers. They can rarely write, you see, because of the cost. But the people here are like family, and not so different from back home. I could get used to living here, I think, though I loved being your personal maid more than anything.'

Poor Fanny, there wasn't much chance anymore of Elizabeth wanting to be dressed and made up to within an inch of her life on a regular basis. Life was much better in the country. But once Fanny got with child she would want to stay put a little more, and she'd want Bob there for her. Maybe they should indeed have Bruce taught to drive the thoroughbreds. Or take Hugo to town, let him share responsibility of the Pemberley stables a little more often with the adult stable hands like Bob and Peter.