Chapter 68

The next day is the thirty-first of December, the night of the charity ball.

After a morning of shopping with Georgiana, bringing Simon as their liveried attendant, Kitty has her beautiful dress, complete with hat and silver chain. Mr Lascelles has returned, and is making himself useful on their new project, the gypsy-room, as they have dubbed it.

Georgiana loves it, the furniture is a mishmash of styles, though every piece fits into their style perfectly, it looks outlandish, organic and over the top. Everything is coloured, they have found fabrics their prim ancestors must have been abhorred to behold when some family-member brought them from their travels, quickly stowed away in the attic to not have to throw them out, but to not ever have to see them again either.

Georgiana and Kitty love them, and put them on display in their fantasy-room.

The large wooden pony has been taken downstairs, it looks almost real, they deck it out in coloured fabrics and blankets as if it's a sheik's desert horse.

Eric spends a lot of time in his own apartment, he's downhearted, whenever they are together he seems fine, but as soon as they're in company he is absent-minded, lost in thoughts, and obviously not pleasant ones. Georgiana worries, he is mental agony, and she can relieve his suffering, if only she can find the right words.

He still plays as well as usual, even better, so maybe she'd better wait for tonight, she doesn't want to spoil his mood by confusing him. What to do?

She sneaks out to listen at his door, it's a mere four doors away from their project after all, and at first he's working on his study-piece, but the second time she walks by he is playing a truly heart-rending composition, the Zumpe giving it extra weight with its dark tones in the muffled room. The Zumpe sounded much better, lighter, in his bright, airy room at his patron's house.

But tears will not avail her now, she'd better think of a solution to this problem. She's just too young to make such an important decision all by herself, still she doesn't want someone else deciding for her either. Elizabeth fought a painful battle to win freedom for her sister, and Georgiana is not going to let her down by begging Fitzwilliam for advice, she will find a solution.

As Simon said, a few days' heartache won't kill Eric, he'll be extra happy. Their visitors will go home soon, and then she'll be able to really show her affection, and tell him about her brother's promise.

Mr Manners is very nice, he's helping them out with their decorating, too, and he really does his best to hearten her, but Georgiana cannot hide her worries altogether, sometimes she must check on Eric, see if it's getting worse, if he stops playing she'll go in and just tell him.

'I'm going to have a little talk with Mr Fielding about tonight, Miss Darcy. He must be getting a bit nervous, maybe I can talk some heart into him. Will you excuse me?'

'Of course, Mr Manners. I'm sure he's looking forward to playing for such a large audience, though. He's very ambitious, you know.'

'I know, Miss Darcy, and I have a plan to help him get ahead in his career, without robbing you of your teacher, don't worry. Please trust me in this, Miss Darcy, I really have his best interest at heart.

See you later!'

With enough dedication, and some affectionate attention from Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam, who admire their efforts and even sit down on one of the sofa's to really experience the feeling of the room, time passes quickly, and it is soon time for dinner, and after that, dressing up. Fanny will be tickled, and frankly, Georgiana is looking forward to dressing up, she knows her new finery will make an impact, even though she bought it ready-made.