Chapter 32

They decide to ride out after all, in the afternoon, including Mr Bennet in their ride, to show him the city from horseback and to keep his horse active in the confinement of a London stables. Darcy's father-in-law also needs the exercise, he is used to riding every day and needs to stay in shape for their return journey. The snow keeps coming and gives the city a fairytale look, especially in the parks they visit regularly.

It is no hardship at all to have Mr Bennet along on their outings, he is a true kindred spirit, talking about books, politics and the news with great interest. He really must be starved for a sensible conversation at home, for there hasn't been a single sign of sarcasm in him during his stay in London, Georgiana loves him, Simon treats him with more respect than he treats anyone, Mr Bennet in his turn treats Mrs Annesley with more respect than Darcy has ever seen him show any other person.

After seeing them in conversation in the hall one time, Darcy decided to invite Mrs Annesley to lunch and to dine with them during Mr Bennet's stay, on her working days of course, and fortunately she told him she didn't have the slightest objection against joining them in the dining-room once more.

From the moment she was no longer Georgie's companion she stopped taking her meals with the family, sitting with the rest of the staff instead.

'I'm no longer required to sit in on your family moments, Mr Darcy, and I prefer to give you your time together. Also, mealtimes are perfect for getting to know one another, and your entire staff needs to get connected, myself included.'

Darcy could not but agree with her then, but he truly thinks Mr Bennet enjoyed her presence at lunch, and will enjoy it even more at their dining-table. Like Darcy himself, his father-in-law greatly appreciates an intelligent woman, and Mrs Annesley is near his own age. Besides, Darcy knows little of Mrs Annesley's situation at home, but it cannot be easy, he does know her husband is not able to work for a living, which suggests most domestic tasks must also fall on her shoulders. In short, she may enjoy a bit of entertainment now and again, and she clearly enjoys Mr Bennet's society as much as he enjoys hers.

Darcy supposes they will see Mr Bennet more often from now on, even at Pemberley. To be in the company of people of superior understanding must be very tempting, and worth a long ride. He will be glad for Elizabeth if her father will take the trouble to visit, he knows she feels bad about leaving him behind with just his wife and her silly sisters as company.

And for himself, he doesn't mind at all, he likes his father-in-law, who treats the servants friendly enough, and who entertains himself most of the time. Once at Pemberley, Darcy won't mind hunting and fishing with him, they can even make it a party this spring if they include Mr Gardiner.

Lost in contemplations for a few moments, Darcy is brought back to the now by their arrival at the edge of a rather large field where they usually gallop. As he looks up, Elizabeth is just urging Daisy into a slow canter to test the footing. After a few jumps the mare slips, and slips again, fortunately regaining her footing almost instantly. Elizabeth sits as firmly as a rock despite the sidesaddle, slows down back to a walk and turns to face them.

'I suppose it's a bit slippery today, Fitzwilliam, it may be better if we don't gallop. Too bad, Daisy was looking forward to a good run.'

Darcy is very proud of her, to recover so matter-of-factly from a scary situation, she really is an excellent horse-woman by now, he can hardly wait to ride to Netherfield together, but he looks forward even more to the summer on their estate, where she can ride astride once more and really test her mettle on a few mounted hunts.

But as much as Darcy admires her, her father's reaction is one of utter amazement.

'My dearest Lizzy, where did you learn to ride like that?'