Chapter 154

At breakfast, Stokes handed Darcy a letter that caused his heart to shoot up right into his throat. He instantly recognised the quality of the paper and the handwriting: it was aunt Catherine's. The last time he'd received a letter from her hand it contained a load of offensive language about the love of his life, and whilst he'd already loved Elizabeth more than life itself at that time, by now he actually knew whom he had married and he loved her even more. Because yes, that was possible. If his aunt's reply to his letter seeking information was of a similar nature that would mean the end of any possibility of contact, he would not suffer his beloved to be insulted.

Of course the others instantly understood what the letter was all about, but there was no way in which Darcy could read it before them with Prince George present. Fortunately, Fielding proved his sensibility by catching the prince's attention.

'Would you care spend half an hour on a few Bach pieces I have adapted from harpsichord to piano? I'll play it on harpsichord afterwards, we have one upstairs, in our private apartment.'

Of course Prince George knew he was being kept from something, but there wasn't much he could do about it. And besides, he really did love music.

'I'd love to, you're the only pianist I know who deigns to still play the harpsichord. It's almost a forgotten art, and yet it is so beautiful. Can we start with the harpsichord?'

'Certainly, we can do that right after breakfast, I have my Bach upstairs anyway.'

And that was it, they finished breakfast and retreated to the confidence room, where Darcy decided to read the letter himself, if there was anything rude against Elizabeth in there she would not have to see that, let alone read it out loud.

When they were all seated, Manners cleared his throat and spoke first.

'I'm sorry to interrupt what I guess is a bit nerve-racking for you, Darcy, but I have something you all need to know and this is too perfect an opportunity to pass by with Prince George safely in Eric's hands. Do I have your permission to proceed?'

It sounded ominous, and Darcy nodded.

'Of course, Manners, I hope it's nothing really bad?'

'I'll let you judge for yourself. You know by now that the prince has gotten a maid to talk about our arrangements on the second floor, and he has also kindly but incessantly drawn Simon out when he is doing his assumed duties. Yesterday evening, Simon returned really upset, the prince had dryly informed him he knew about Anne and Nick seeing each other. He professed being very concerned about Anne's fate if their affair were to come out, and Simon did not dare say anything, mostly because the prince is indeed devilishly clever and would undoubtedly distil even more knowledge from whatever he said, but of course also because the man is going to be our king.

So, Simon merely hinted that Anne was a woman grown and didn't need a man to patronize her, but nothing more. Prince George let him know he'd pursue his inquiries to be certain Anne would be safe, but to keep his findings to himself and tell only Simon of his progress. Poor Simon is in a state, he fears he will be blamed when he has no way to avoid being alone with a man he says can get a rock to spill its life's story. I just want you to know what is going on and to be on your guard around him. Always. He may even be more clever than you, Anne.'

'I am certain he is, Frederick. He will not stop until he knows the truth, and I'm afraid he will stay until he knows. Do I have to intervene, tell him to leave our private lives alone?'

'He will only use it to gain more information, and he'll know Simon talked to us, proving he is more to us than just a servant. Try to tell him nothing, though it will be difficult. All the private information he gains about us will enable him to force us to stay in England instead of going abroad.