Chapter 4

After a very productive visit to his steward, Darcy takes his love-sickness outside, walking the path along the river once more, trying to deduce what Miss Elizabeth thought of him that afternoon. He really cannot tell, he thought her quite pleased by his civility, though embarrassed as well. But he once thought himself loved by her, and that turned out to be the worst mistake of his life so far. No, it is quite clear he cannot trust his own sense at all in this matter, and he will have to suffer suspense for a long long time yet, be happy with every kind word she gives him, and with every saucy speech or smart remark it pleases her to direct at him.

But one thing he dare conclude from this day's events: Miss Elizabeth Bennet does not hate him anymore, that much his letter has accomplished at the very least.

It takes Darcy a very long time to find sleep that night, first he takes another stroll across his grounds, after which he paces his bedroom feverishly, until he cannot keep his eyes open anymore. Then he lies on his bed and falls asleep instantly, waking early because he forgot to close the window and the drapes, bedroom bathing in early sunlight, and ears filled with the songs of countless birds.

He rises, bathes and dresses carefully despite the early hour, then goes out by himself once again, not on horseback this time, he will not smell of horse today. An hour's walk settles him reasonably well, and he enters the house for breakfast, finding Georgiana and her lady companion Mrs Annesley arrived and just having breakfast themselves.

Darcy has a hard time checking his feelings, knowing he will meet Miss Elizabeth again so very soon, but he tries his very best, and no-one seems to notice how he drifts between elation and anxiety.

He tells Georgiana about his wish for her to meet a young lady of his acquaintance, and he describes Miss Elizabeth Bennet as he sees her before his mind's eye, smart, beautiful and very lovely. Georgiana can honestly show him real curiosity to meet this lady, apparently Miss Elizabeth Bennet is near her own age, and still Fitzwilliam seems to admire her very much. He tries to hide his feelings, but Georgiana may be just sixteen and shy by nature, she is as keen an observer as he is, though much more subtle, and she can easily connect this lady being willing to meet Georgiana to her brother being in a very good mood for the first time in months.

It will be thrilling to finally meet the lady of Fitzwilliam's choice, he has taken long enough to find her, and if his mood of the last three months is any indication, he hasn't been very lucky in winning her so far.

Though Georgiana is rather tired from travelling the last stretch of the journey, having left at a very early hour, and is always wary of meeting new people, she is very keen to meet this young lady, and observe Fitzwilliam in her company.

As Darcy has his own breakfast, he watches his sister with admiration. Georgiana looks lovely, she is so womanly already, and maybe it isn't all that bad if she is a little shy. She's still young, she will probably find some self-confidence soon.

Bingley also appears at the breakfast table, and as Darcy proposes Georgiana to leave for their appointment with Miss Elizabeth Bennet in half an hour, he shows an immediate interest. Is Miss Eliza staying near Pemberley, and is she by herself, and can he join them in their visit?

At the second yes, his friend seems to show a little disappointment, but it is just a fleeting shadow across his friendly, open face, for he does like the affirmative answer to the other two questions. Seeing Miss Elizabeth apparently pleases him, too.

Soon, Georgiana and himself are on their way, Bingley to follow later on horseback, and Darcy is again having trouble controlling his excitement. He has to, though, not to give himself away to his sister.

Of course he fails miserably, she can spot his emotions in everything, his face, his posture, his voice, but he doesn't realise that, since she is much better at hiding her feelings than anyone, even her brother, has any idea of. Despite Fitzwilliam being the elder sibling, she does worry about him, she loves him dearly and he has been so very unhappy these last few months. It really hurt her to find him unwilling to talk about what happened, but she didn't dare insist.