Chapter 109

They start out with Williams on the box with Fanny and Bob, no doubt watching the young driver's skills with the high-strung team enviously. He should see Bob navigating the narrow streets of London with the entire team. And the boy is in the carriage with them, a lot less awkward than a normal servant would be. His father may be a paid stablemaster, the son was not raised a servant but a free spirit. Elizabeth cannot imagine the father being pleased at his son's choice of a position, he must prefer his son to just hold a job like he does himself. The boy is a little excited, though, and he soon tells his companions why.

'I never thought I'd ever get to ride behind real thoroughbreds, I never even thought I'd ever get to see one for real. Bob let me groom one, it was all muscle. They're not actually very beautiful horses, are they? Merely very athletic and very fast. Your new stallion is much better looking, Colonel Drummond.'

Ah, to be young again and say everything that pops into one's mind, Elizabeth remembers how she shocked Miss Bingley and Lady Catherine with her own frankness, not knowing that meanwhile, someone was brought to his knees by her impertinence. And he still doesn't mind it one bit, he likes this kid and is not insulted at what might be seen as a slight towards his prize team.

'If Bob finds a suitable track of road you may sit beside him on the box as he lets them have their heads. If Colonel Drummond can handle another fast ride.'

The colonel grins and replies, 'I'd never live it down if I refused. I'll get used to it.'

Then Fitzwilliam continues, 'That's all set then, provided Bob says it's safe. And no, they are not beautiful, Smith, I agree with you on that. They're made for running, like Mr Miller's horses are made for warfare. You told me they weren't beautiful either, didn't you?'

'They're nags, ugly colours and square necks and angles everywhere. Big blocky heads, too.'

Colonel Drummond is not used to impertinent youths, of course he is a high-ranking army officer, he is used to young men who have been drilled into obedience by sergeants. He feels called upon to defend his trusted horse.

'My blocky-headed horse has saved my life countless times in the heat of battle. Surrounded by musket fire, blasting cannons, shrieking, dying horses, the smell of blood everywhere, he went where I asked him to go, with just one hand on the rein and a squeeze of my legs. Do you really think that a soldier cares what colour his horse is, Smith? Can you imagine what Bucephalus would have done under those circumstances?'

The image his master has painted right before his eyes makes a profound impression on young Smith, he is struck totally dumb. Elizabeth can see his thoughts racing, this old man with grey hair, who is a bit afraid of riding the new stallion and some of the more spirited mares, has really seen battle? With people shooting at him, and people dying?

'Were you wounded in action, sir?' is the first thought that apparently has come to his mind.

His attitude softens the colonel considerably. Maybe the older man doesn't realise what a different person he is at home, compared to the camp.

'I have been, repeatedly, yes. But my Blaze always managed to keep me seated and he has brought me back to base safely the last two years. He was wounded, too, but I never noticed until afterwards, he didn't even flinch. He is a brave horse, the best I've had so far, and I've lost quite a few, boy. To a stray bullet, or to someone targeting officers to weaken a regiment.'

'I never realised you were in actual battles, sir. And on a horse, with people fighting everywhere. How did he stand that?'

'It's what Mr Miller breeds them for, boy, and your father helps train them to withstand. Do you understand now why they don't care what colour a horse is?'