Chapter 97

Their last night in Londonfor quite some time is very enjoyable. Darcy can't even regret theunfortunate incident of this morning, for it has cleared the air likenothing else. And it hasn't just removed that shade of distrust hestill felt towards Manners, no matter how much he liked him, it hasalso done wonders for Bingley and Jane. For they had indeed fallenout over what happened, the men had never told Jane about the hourManners spent with Miss Bingley, telling her about Grenfell'smisdeeds and personal weaknesses. She still thought they were goingto lure Caroline into a doomed marriage unknowingly. Of course mostof them still think the others are deluding themselves over thechance for happiness such a marriage entails, but frankly that isnone of their business. If Miss Bingley wants to marry a rapist, asGeorgie summed up so bluntly, she's welcome to him.

And Elizabeth describedhow Bingley and Jane fell into each other's arms, kissed and made up.Even the description was enough to put tears in his eyes, but thatmay have been because seeing Elizabeth totally distraught thatmorning tore him up inside, and it will take some time to blot thatimage out of his mind.

But now they're on theirway to an obscure little hall with Georgie, Manners and uncleSpencer. Eric left right after lunch, and Fitzwilliam refused, heprefers to go to the officers' club. Maybe Darcy does, too, this willbe boring. But Fielding needs his patron to be there, and his futurebrother-in-law has proven himself again this morning, so Darcy willmake himself agreeable for his benefit.

To think that Manners tookFielding to Grenfell's place to entertain his friends. With ladies ofsin! It's funny now, but Darcy is certain Fielding must have beenshocked at the time, he was even more naïve than Elizabeth despitehaving gone to school. Well, both of them may exceed Darcy in worldlyexperience by now, and Darcy is not sorry, he infinitely prefers lifein the country.

'You haven't invited me toenjoy a ride behind your thoroughbreds, Darcy,' Manners observes.

'You're not still mad atme, are you?'

His eyes sparkle, he suregot over his fright quickly. Elizabeth is still rather withdrawn,shaken by the morning's events, when a rift between Manners and theirfamily seemed inescapable. Her obvious attachment to Manners isalmost enough to make him slightly envious, but jealousy of Mannersis truly the limit. Wait a second, that should give Darcy an insightin the nature of his jealousy. Maybe it's not aimed at romantic love,they're married after all, and he knows she loves him. Maybe Darcy isjust jealous of her affections towards anyone who may be moreinteresting than himself. He knows he is a handsome man, andphysically attractive to Elizabeth. But he also knows she is highlyintelligent, and as easily bored as her father. Suppose he fearsshe'll get tired of him?

'No, I love you like abrother. I just want to keep my carriage tidy. If you wet yourself infear, you'll ruin the seats of Elizabeth's beautiful carriage.'

Manners laughs heartily,but he looks hungry, he wants their friendship so badly, Darcy neverrealised that. He thought Manners merely tolerated them, to be closeto Simon. But it seems he truly loves them, enough to plead forforgiveness in a most poignant way.

'Anne seemed to haveenjoyed her ride tremendously, Darcy,' his uncle observes.

'Her cheeks were blushing,and she looked so happy, despite having heard those terrible thingsof her mother. My dear sister won't know what is happening comeSaturday, I'm almost looking forward to it.'

'Frankly, uncle, Anne waslike that before we left. Blushing, excited. And her night hadn'tbeen particularly quiet either. I guess she thrives on excitement, asshe used to when we were children.'

Now why does Manners looklike a cat in the cream? Another plot? Well, Darcy will get the truthof it, this is his cousin they're talking about and she is juststarting to enjoy life. She is not a pawn for Manners to play with.