Knuckles x reader: Secrets and Safety

You are a (A/T)

Secrets and safety definitely don't mix.

Jump, punch, dodge, shit dodge! Not moving fast enough (Y/N) was met with a punch to the gut coiling up in the ground groaning loudly.

"Shit (Y/N) are you alright!?"

But the only reply the worried Sonic got was a strangled 'yes' as (Y/N) was curled up in a ball on the ground clutching her stomach.

"I'm really sorry! I thought you'd be able to dodge that attack!"

"It's... alright..." she said slowly.

This was far from unusual. Having only joined the team a couple of months ago (Y/N) the (A/T) was in need of training in combat and strategy, but that was easier said than done in her case. As she seemed to do well for a stretch of the training session, and then quickly grow tired near the end, making her reflexes slow like just now.

At least Sonic had been able to soften his blow a little when he realise (Y/N) wouldn't be able to dodge.

"What's all the racket about?"

Sonic and (Y/N) who was stumbling to her legs both turned to see Knuckles stood there.

"Training." (Y/N) answered simply.

"Not any more." Sonic contradicted her "You need to get an ice patch on your stomach, hopefully it shouldn't bruise."

"Nah I'm fine lets go again." she gestured standing up right.

"(Y/N) Sonic's right." Knuckles said, sending a light glare her way, and she knew what he meant.

So giving a sigh she signaled that training for the day was officially over.

"I'll get the ice pack." Sonic ran back into the house.

Leaving (Y/N) and Knuckles, Knuckles still glaring at her lightly.

"(Y/N)...."

"Yeah.. yeah..." she gasped "Save the lecture for later." she sighed pulling out an inhaler.

Standing up straight she placed it in her mouth removing the cap. Pressing the nozzle her lungs were finally allowed some relief. Keeping her mouth shut she breathed in deeply, waited a few seconds, before taking another puff.

"Better?"

She nodded in answer.

"You can't keep this up you know."

Sonic wasn't aware, neither was any of the rest of the team, that (Y/N) had asthma. Only Knuckles knew, and heck it was a hell of a story of how he found out.

And as a result of when they met Knuckles was always panicking about her, as many people forgot that asthma was a killer if not taken seriously enough. If someone who was asthmatic had an attack and weren't treated with in a few minutes they could quiet easily pass on.

So now whenever he could Knuckles would interject whenever (Y/N) was clearly getting out breath and before her voice got wheezy. And (Y/N) was both grateful and annoyed by this set up, as it stopped the others finding out that she had asthma, but it also made it look like she couldn't do much.

Even after being on the team for several months she still hadn't been able to go on any missions as she couldn't complete much training, and so that coupled with her asthma restraining her she felt rather useless.

"Yeah, yeah I know. I'll tell them soon."

"You've been saying the same thing for months now."