Observations

[important notice at end of chapter]

"What are you doing here?" Zak asked as I walked into his kitchen with Gracie trotting by my side.

"Morning to you too." I answered putting my water into his fridge.

"No, I mean.. What are you doing here? I thought you would take the day off?" He frowned following me around the kitchen as I figured out what was the first thing that needed doing.

I paused to look at him, seeing him dressed and freshly shaved I decided that the bathroom and washing would be the first.

"I don't need the day off. I needed sleep and I didn't get any of that. So I'm awake, I'm here."

His brows furrowed slightly at my admission but as I turned to leave the kitchen a woman was stood there making me jump back.

"Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't know you had company." I apologised.

"Uh- She uh.. Tina could you give us 5 minutes?" Zak asked her. Her black bob wobbled as she complied and hurried off.

I looked at her and then back to him before double taking. "Are you firing me?!"

"Wh-"

"I'm not giving you the diary back!"

For the first time he actually laughed, a sound which took me off guard and a face that made my heart do a funny turn.

What the hell was that?!

"Fired? For someone who's clever you can be incredibly stupid sometimes."

"Did you just give me a backhanded compliment?" I asked pushing my hands onto my hips.

"Yeah. I did. Deal with it. You're not fired. Not yet."

I frowned at his words but kept quiet in order to listen.

"Tina is my cleaner.."

"Tina the cleaner?" I asked finding my own amusement in word play. Zak's face was as flat as ever.

Get it? Tina... the cleaner?

Tina? Cleane- forget it..

"You're due to take your final exam soon.. Am I right?" He asked making me nod.

"Yes sir."

"Well in that time, you will need to do revision. And I can't be a factor in why you may not pass. So Tina, is here on a temporary contract until you have passed your final exams. If you wish to continue working here then I will grant that. But if you wish to leave, then I'll need notice and for you to work your notice."

"I don't want to leave." I answered instantly.

"Nobody takes a criminology or criminal psychology course to be an assistant." Zak replied folding his arms at me.

"I'm not a nobody," I threw back looking around.

He looked away before sighing and rubbing his forehead. "Well I haven't got anything set up for you. I guess you could print off my orders whilst Tina takes Gracie o-

"No!" I snapped making him look over. "That's my job." I replied a little quieter.

"You don't-"

"Don't take her away from me. Please I love walking her, it keeps us both happy. Please?" I pleaded looking beside my feet at her and back to Zak.

He sighed in contemplation before nodding. "Fine. But if I think it's going to effect work. I'll walk her or have Tina walk her."

My eyes narrowed at his ultimatum and attempt at blackmail.