"Wheres the good in goodbye?"

Ready for more? Lovely. This one is about the one and only, my personal favorite, despite my large affection for all of them this chapter is for...
Kaz.

the picture just reminds me of pretty much all of my FanFiction. What kills me helps me live.

I'm going to just do one, seeing how more human is already really one of these.

Major character death
(Trigger warning: mention of suicidal thoughts)

Inej's P.O.V

Everyone thought it was odd, especially Inej who had returned from slave hunting for a while. Kaz was never sick, it was as if he spent so much time in the cold and dirty alleyways that he had become immune.

Inej tried not to notice but did, he coughed, it was wet sounding, he got paler and he would start to shake from time to time. Once she stepped into his office to find him hacking his lung out, spitting blood into a tissue and crumpling it up and tossing it into the trash.

"Kaz..." Inej murmured worriedly.. "hey." He croaked, voice soft due to losing it, the rasp made it sound like a whisper. "What's going on?" Inej sat in a love seat near the fire, he was sitting on the ground, back against the arm of one chair. "Just a cold" he murmured to himself.

"Must you lie to me? You don't get colds, it annoys all of us. So what's going on." Kaz sighed, "Things don't go well, not for everybody... some people, like me, want vengeance." He hummed softly playing with his lock picks, Inej knew he was stalling but let him get to the point on his own time. "I caught Queens Anne's plague, fought it off, made my immune system stronger... except."

Kaz paused to hack more blood out of his lungs, Inej scowled. "Except it also likes vengeance." He sighed looking at his hands, "canal rats and barrel bosses are dying, three guesses on the common factor."

Inej narrowed her eyes. "Tell me your joking..." "Inej-" "Kaz, this better be just a way to scare me off from asking questions. Please-" "Inej!" Kaz hissed, it was loud and seemed to take all his energy he leaned back, exhausted. "I- I knew it would come back, it was a matter of time... just don't tell the others." Inej gawked at him for just moment before exploding. "KAZ THEY CAN HELP!" She roared, but immediately regretted it by the way Kaz cringed... the silence stretched, Inej sat down. "I'm sorry." She muttered, staring at her hands.

Kaz shook his head, "I didn't expect to live long anyways, let's just hope the afterworld hurts less." Kaz muttered as he forced himself up and limped to his desk. He picked up his pen. Inej wondered if it was strength or stupidity that drove him, but either way, she would not stand for it. "Kaz, your not working now, you need to rest... we need to get a medik. We're all rich enough to afford one." Inej was scrambling. She honestly wasn't sure what it would be like without Kaz, she had not yet been on a sea voyage and what would happen if they lost Kaz?

Jesper would mourn, Wylan probably too... the Dregs for sure would go out like a candle with no oxygen... and Nina might not care, but Inej... she didn't know where her and Kaz's relationship was going but they were trying and it was progress, he became more tolerant and stated it didn't get so bad... but only around the crows would he take his gloves off, he had been Inej's number one companion and closest relatable crow... for nearly two years or more.

Inej stared at Kaz, he looked a bit like Nina's resurrected corpses, his pale skin near translucent, he wasn't eating much, nor sleeping, Inej observed the dark black and purple patches below his black eyes. His hair clung to his forehead due to perspiration. His body shook with tremors every now and then, his rasp was stronger and he seemed to be having slight issues breathing.