College AU

Let's get a bit of background here,

They all went to school together since preschool. Kanej has been shipped since middle school and shipped harder during high school when they were surprisingly named prom king and queen. Their friends joked that it was just because they were king and queen of drama. Kaz was living on the streets, much to his friends displeasure. He was adopted by Per Haskell. A billionaire who got his money from the lotto and looking bad in press because he gave none away and didn't spend much on anything but himself and throwing parties. Per Haskell was abusive until Kaz fought back and got a place amongst Per Haskell gang, they have an, odd, relationship. Wylan lives with his father and Haskell and Van Eck are constantly going against each other, this leads to the first introduction of Wylan by Kaz during elementary school when he joins the club. Both can do rich kid things and yet are anything but.

Now they all live in a big apartment owned by Per Haskell. Sharing the pent level because he was too cheap to give them two free separate rooms. They also all go to the same good college. Kaz is suppose to be a rich kid. But like his adopted dad, he for sure is not one. His dark reputation on the street scares students and teachers alike, but his grades are perfect and they ignore his behavior. Wylan and Jesper made it official about a year before this story and Nina and Matthias were on and off all through Middle school and half of high school. They are now together and going straight and solid, Kaz and Matthias have a tense relationship. Welcome to college.

Kaz was reading a psychology book, one of his many strengths. This was partially the reason why he was so manipulative. Inej strode into the utterly abandoned living room, except for Kaz who was almost a ghost in the room. She waltzed over and sat on the arm of the chair, the one he wasn't using, and leaned her head on his shoulder with a sigh. "Inej.." Kaz called, his rasp sharp and clear as always. "Yes Kaz?" She asked innocently. "Why is you head on my shoulder?" He spoke so calmly, but his voice hid warning. "Because it's too much of a bother to lift, my neck needs a break and my head feels heavy." Inej muttered lamely. "It feels heavy to me too." He grumbled, Inej laughed at this and then started reading his book over his shoulder.

"Slow down, I was only half way through the sentence." Inej whined, Kaz grunted in annoyance. "You need a bit of a mystery." He grumbled, his voice like a thunderstorm. "Yeah, but not cliffhangers. 'The hypothalamus main use is...' ...what I would consider a cruel cliffhanger." He chuckled, shaking his head and placing the old and tattered bookmark on his page and closing the book. "You clearly want something Inej." He stated, turning his face up to her, she tried to remain calm staring into his dark eyes.

"I do. I was wondering if you would come to my next gymnastics tournament? I know they are no fun for you but at least you could be there..." Inej grew quiet at the end, losing confidence. Kaz closed his eyes. "I'm afraid I can't make it Inej. I have a lot of things planned this week." He kept his eyes closed thinking back on his meetings and opening his eyes to look back at the book. He heard a soft and disappointed 'oh' leave Inej's lips. She slid off of his arm chair, stepping away from him. "Okay Kaz. See ya around." She slipped out as usual, Kaz sighed and traced the shape of the brain on the book cover. She could act okay with it all she wanted, but he was good at reading people and knew Inej was rather disappointed if not hurt by his absence.

Kaz tried to shake it off as he opened the book and started in only to find he kept rereading the same sentence over and over, as if his eyes would not allow him any further. He growled, placing the bookmark back in the book and closing it, placing it in his backpack. Nina and Jesper came back from their chemistry class, Wylan right behind them. Kaz noticed they were soaked, they just stood there and soaked the floor, talking. "Ahem. Are you aware of how expensive this cherry wood floorboards are? Your going to ruin them dripping rain water all over." Kaz spoke in a deadly calm voice, he had a rather annoying pet peeve about furniture and its quality.

Everyone scrambled, even Nina, because nobody wants to see Kaz and Per Haskell come down on them. Kaz walked over to his room, closing the door and grumbling about slobs, he walked over to his computer, sitting down and typing his passcode in. His screensaver popped up, a picture of all of them together at their usual hangout. Kaz sighed, pulling up a internet browser to cover the image. Mainly to cover Inej's smile as she leaned against his shoulder, or tried to. Kaz sighed, turning to the small calendar on his desk. He did have some meetings planned, he could always reschedule... Kaz ran a black gloved hand through his hair. Why when it came to her did he always give in?

He stood up and walked down the hall to her room, his was beside hers and  Wylan's.  He knocked on Inej's door, "Inej can I talk to you?" He called through the door, he felt kind of like an idiot as his voice echoed through the halls but Inej's quick response of 'yeah sure' soothed him over. He opened the door silently to find Inej doing homework on her bed, it looked like math but he couldn't be sure. "Yeah?" She asked, he closed the door and limped over to her, sitting on the chair beside her bed at her desk. "I think I can clear up my schedule enough to find an in if you want me to be there Inej." He said, Inej scowled at him. "Kaz, its fine, you don't have to-" Kaz raised a gloved hand, silencing her. "I would like to Inej." He said, she smiled, happy to hear the words she was looking for. "Can you help with this problem Kaz?"

Kaz sat up and walked over to her, she rolled over on her bed making room for him. Kaz sat on the edge and leaned down to see what she was working on. Upon closer inspection it was none other than math homework. "Inej, I don't think you need help on this. It looks like you got the concept." Inej ignored most of what he said. "But math is boring Kaz! I already know it and ugh..." she grumbled, Kaz snickered. "You could have gone to the AP math with Wylan and I." Kaz said smugly, Inej rolled back till she was leaning beside him, laying on her back. "There is too much work in that class, I would rather stay back and take it easy." Kaz rolled his eyes. "Lucky you."

Inej smiled and was about to reply when Kaz's phone rang. An alarm ringing through Inej's room like a tornado siren, shattering the silence. "Great.." Kaz grumbled, picking up the phone and answering. "Why are you- now?" He shot Inej a glance, she watched him nervously, he turned his back on her. "Yea, yeah I'm on my way. Don't die till I get there." Kaz hung up and shoved his phone into his pocket, Inej leapt up and followed him. "What's wrong?" She asked, keeping pace with him. "Gang stuff." He grumbled, Inej huffed. "I'm part of that gang too you know, we kind of all are." Inej glared at his back, as if trying to burn a hole in it. "I know Inej. Just stay here." Kaz told her, slipping on his coat and grabbing up his car keys.

"Kaz, let me come-" She started but was silenced by his glare. "-ugh fine! Just don't get shot or hurt and we'll be fine." Kaz rolled his eyes. "I'll be back in no time. I might even be on the news." With that he closed the door and headed out. Inej sighed, she walked over to the fridge and pulled out a pizza slice as dinner, they all were in very different time schedules and Kaz had to spend half his time with Haskell often. The rest were also extremely busy with work at college. Inej nibbled on the inside of her cheek as she thought. Inej always felt like Kaz was on the verge of asking her out, but he would always say something else, was it just her being hopeful  or was he actually contemplating it?

Just another loose end I will have to tie later, don't know why I do this to myself... think of it as a sampler of a request you could do. Anyways... just wanted to update and say I have lots of stories that I have yet to start and I'm sorry for that. Bye you guys