Alby isn't free

Alby barely remembered his childhood before he moved to the country side. He was about ten now, he and his father weren't getting along, his father was paranoid and whispering something about vengeance and drinking until he decided to head back to Ketterdam because they needed money.

Alby began packing his things, careful to hide his favorite stuffed animal from his father, when ever the boy brought up his interest in crows his father would ramble more. Alby doesn't remember getting  the plush feathery crow toy, just adoring it. As his father left to pack, he pulled out the crow and stroked its soft feathers, it had a shiny silver crest and he had named it Kazimir, the destroyer of peace. When he played with these animals, which was growing farther and fewer in between, the crow was a mighty king who was misunderstood by the pride of lions. He quickly hid the toy at the sound of approaching footsteps. He started to pack up his clothes with his servants helping. "Now Alby, whatever happens stay beside me at all times during our time at the barrel or anywhere else in Ketterdam."

"Yeah sure dad." Alby repeated dejectedly, his father didn't trust him. Constantly, anywhere he went. 'Be safe, stay in sight, don't go over there, stay away from the dark alleys, don't climb trees.' His father was utterly ridiculous as if the alcohol he drank altered the state of his minds wellbeing. His father grunted disbelievingly and turned to leave.

They arrived at the city a while later, Alby running ahead of his father who simply sent a servant off after him. Alby lost them in the crowds, feeling powerful as he prowled the streets, the rebellious child was having fun pretending to be more than a boy his father could cage. He crashed down to the ground rather suddenly, looking up at the man who knocked him over. "Watch it!" He snarled, then noticing the man's cane and quickly standing to apologize.

The young man only sighed, running a hand through his dark hair. "Hmm.. you seem rather feisty for a pigeon on the streets of the barrel. Younger than most too." His rasp sent chills down Alby's back. "I'm not a pigeon. What's it to you?" Alby hissed, a loud caw made him jump. A crow flew down and landed on a box near the man. "Alby!" It cried, wait, not the crow. Alby heard his fathers quickly approaching footsteps. "There you are Pekka, I was wondering if you would so willingly let your son, Alby, wander into my territory, but that doesn't change our agreements." The man rasped, a snarl adorning his features. "Leave my son out of it." "I warned you, you killed my brother. I was far too generous in my first offer, and with new knowledge of what you did to my Wraith in the Menagerie... I'm afraid you will not be allowed to slip away. After all, your the last name on the list." The hiss of the man's voice detected anger.

"What's the menagerie?" Alby asked, "nothing!" His father barked sharply, the other smirked. "A place for awful humans to torture people who are under worse circumstances, it makes them feel powerful." The man had a rougher edge to his already dark tone, clearly disliking the place. "Let's just say your father isn't a victim." Alby could understand that, he knew his father wasn't a good man, good men did not live so paranoid. "What's your name?" Alby questioned, the man grimaced. He bowed theatrically, in a way that made it seem sarcastic. "Kazimir Brekker, Bastard of the barrel, Dirtyhands and leader of the Dregs, but my associates call me Kaz." Kaz spoke with dark humor of some inside joke.

"What's this agreement your talking about, Cripple." Alby tested, smirking up at the dark figure, his father spluttered. "Heh. Fine kid your raising there Pekka. Your father said he would stay out of Ketterdam, yet here he is, so his life is mine to take." The boys eyes widened. "Your going to kill him!" "What would you think I should do about a terminated contract?" His father was making signs for him to be quiet but Alby wanted to prove himself a force to be reckoned with, he was done with quiet. "Well, if he killed your brother I can see how you might want to take revenge, but my father is quite troubled... he is bound to run himself into the ground, he has nowhere else to go to." Alby said, Kaz looked deep into the boy's eyes, it unnerved Alby. "Your saying you would send your father into a slow and painful death of poverty?" "If he did as you say, I believe it would be the proper judgement, yes." Kaz chuckled.