His Armor (continued)

It was Inej who woke first, she tried to sit up in her bed, crying out quietly. Nina sat up from her chair. "Woah! Easy Inej."
"Kaz..." Inej gasped, eyes frantic.
"He's okay. He's just resting." Nina waved a hand at the couch and she stilled at the sight of him wrapped in a blanket with a pillow propping his head up. Inej blew out a heavy sigh.
"I shouldn't have roped him into that mission." Nina's head jerked up, and worry flashed in her eyes as she looked back at Kaz.
"What?"
"Kaz didn't want to do the mission, he kept telling me that I was too emotional about it, but I just.... got even more angry. I threatened to go alone, because I knew he'd come. Saints, I must have scared him. He was so frantic when he found me... I-" Inej looked guilty, playing with the blankets of his bed.

"We um... may have, did something." Inej blinked, turned to Nina.
"What do you mean?"
"We pushed him too far, we were angry. We thought-"
"You thought it was his plan.." Inej breathed out, shock and fear expanding on her face.
"He... said he lost everyone he cared about, that he had to replace himself with cold and distant things, and... that he should have never opened up."

The room slipped into silence and then Inej just hissed "what did you say to him to cause that?!"
"We blamed him." Inej rolled her eyes and groaned. "Help me up."
"No Inej, you need rest."
"What's going on?" Kaz rasped quietly, he was sitting up and Inej looked over him.
"Kaz, are you alright."

He took a minute getting off the couch and getting his cane, then making his way over. Nina got up and moved to the corner. "I've been better." Kaz confirmed, Inej reached for him and he shied away. "Sorry, Panic Attack." He said softly, and Inej moved over on the bed, Kaz tried to tell her not to, but by the time he got it out, she had already moved. With a great sigh of annoyance he stretched across the bed next to her, she lightly linker their pinkies together, and it wrung a smile from Kaz.
"How are you?" He asked gently, she shrugged.
"I heard they blamed you." Kaz looked away.
"I'm guessing a little red bird told you everything else too?" Nina slipped from the room when Kaz's eyes moved to turn on her.
"Yes. Kaz... It's okay. We're going to be okay. I'm sorry." Kaz took in a deep breath, looking at her.
"You need to start trusting me."
"I do!"
"Then we wouldn't have gone on that mission, not then. It wasn't a good time." Inej turned away from his eyes, letting out a soft breath as her eyes sought the moon.
"Alright, just promise me something."
"Hmm?"
"Don't let us go... It won't make your life better, or easier. It will just..."
"I won't Inej. I just- I don't think I could lose you, or Jes, or anyone. Not after..."
"We'll be careful Kaz. We did the impossible, we can live out our lives fully and happily too. I promise."

His hand found hers fully, laced together and held close. The two had already fallen asleep when Wylan came up for his shift, he smiled and fixed the blanket around them. He moved deeper into the room, to read in the corner, in case anyone needed anything while Jesper and Nina slept in Inej's old room, cramped but anything was better than nothing to the weary body, and nobody wanted to leave Kaz alone. The room was currently empty, but it was clear Kaz had begun using it as a storage room, since he didn't want anyone that close to him. Files and records cluttered the place, they were grateful he left Inej's furniture.

Sorry guys, I just loved the idea and couldn't leave it alone, here's what'd happen afterward.

Toodles!