Shadowed (A spooky story)

Hey guys! So, this is based off a short fic titled "The Ghost of you" by Gandalfgirl579, which can be found on A03, this is basically their idea that I expanded on. Consider it a fic of a fic, anyway, I left the link to their version. Please go check it out!

Based on this prompt: https://archiveofourown.org/works/26698330

Nights like these were rare. When the city bared her teeth and swallowed any unfortunate enough to find themselves in her jaws. The pale moon cast foggy light upon the cobbled streets, gleaming as bright as a dirty dagger across the sharp stones.

Loose papers were the only thing that dared to move, swiftly flapping across the alleys like crumpled birds, fluttering in nervous anticipation of ambush. Barrel rats remained hidden in their burrows, Merchants tucked into their beds under heavy covers to drive away from the cold. And those who had no home stuck in numbers together, burying themselves in the shadows cast by bridges and alleys. Not even the brothels could lure men from their holes.

Inej stared out at the silent streets with quiet contemplation, unease tingling under her skin as her eyes kept being drawn back to the harbor. Kaz was a comfort, as well as a cause for her unease. He worked with his back to her, quill scribbling against the papers laid out on his desk, his shadow stretched across the room, engulfing most of the light before it could reach Inej. She swallowed down the heavy stone that kept her silent.

"Have you seen it?" She breathed, staring down toward the harbor. She heard Kaz shift in his seat, the creak in the old wood of the well-worn chair.
"The city?" Kaz asked, no doubt giving her a sour expression for interrupting his work. Inej took in a deep breath and let it out, stretching her fingers in an effort to settle her nerves. She leaned her weight against the windowsill, pressing her forehead to the cool glass.

"No. Every night, for the past five days... it has pulled itself from the harbor and crawls onto the docks, and heads into the city." Inej inhaled sharply, watching a figure turn the corner, shifting out of the light and into the shadows.

"Inej, what's wrong." Kaz stood up, walking toward her. She couldn't break eye contact with where the figure had been.

"I saw it, Kaz, I tried to get out to help... the first night." She felt Kaz's gloved fingers lightly brush her elbow, drawing closer, standing a few steps behind her, worried eyes shinning under furrowed eyebrows. "It looked at me when I went to head out of my cabin... It looked like you." Kaz stilled, his hand falling away from her arm. The fear in her voice rattled him, but that didn't make sense.

"I couldn't move," Inej gasped out, finally breaking her gaze with the shadowy corner, staring at Kaz. "I could barely breathe. I didn't try to approach it again. It terrifies me, Kaz."

Kaz shook his head, slowly opening his arms, and Inej stepped into his embrace, tucking her head under his chin, her face hidden into his chest. She felt cold, Kaz shook off the sickening feeling that was threatening to rise up and overtake him, he held her close, staring over her out the window, but not finding anything of interest.

"It was just a bad dream, Inej. Maybe it'll help if you slept here tonight." He murmured against her hair.
"Where will you sleep?"
"I can sleep at my desk. I was planning on working through tonight anyway." Inej scowled, pulling back from Kaz. "You need the rest, Inej. I'll be okay." It was a testament to how bad the dreams must have got that Inej didn't even argue, just pulled Kaz closer, seeking comfort from him.

There were no dreams that night but when Inej woke that morning, she still seemed upset. She muttered a swift prayer the moment she opened her eyes. Kaz offered to buy them waffles so as to help get her mind off the subject, and Inej agreed. The city was warm, and even the barrel seemed lively again. Barkers shouting enthusiastically at crowds, people parading up and down the streets in masks and capes.