Happily Ever After... Or Not

Tobias POV

"Yo-you what?" I ask Tris hesitantly.

What she said couldn't possible be true. I don't want to believe her. I'm in a state of denial. Whatever is Tris's is mine also. We're engaged, right? Whatever Tris feels I also feel. I don't like it when she's sad. Then I'll feel sad too.

She sighs from the tears, "My parents are both dead."

Everyone at our table lets out muffled screams. I am one of them.

I caress her face, "I'll be your family."

"How did they die?" Asks Shauna. Her words speak for all of us.

"Uh..." She sobs again and rests her head on my chest, "They uh..."

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to." I whisper in her ear.

"It's fine uh I uh you guys should know at some time," She makes a weird laughing noise. Or at least that's what I think it is, "He was so selfless but why? All those days he would scold me for not doing the right thing was for this. He wanted to gain our parent's trust so he could kill them."

"Umm Tris?" Asks Uriah.

"What?" She laughs again in a weird sinister way.

"Who did it?" Christina asks.

"Oh who did it? Caleb Prior."

"Bu-but..." Marlene stutters.

"Yeah why would he? Innocent selfless Stiff who transferred to Erudite. He only transferred there to make the death less obvious. He wanted the knowledge about how to kill someone discreetly."

Zeke gasps maybe too exaggerated, "I thought he was some secret genius in Abnegation."

"No, it was all fake. Fraud." Laughs Tris again in another weird voice.

"Do yo-you kn-know why he wo-would?" Lynn stammers.

"My parents always favored him over me. He was always the selfless one. No one saw it coming. He did it last night." Tris says it like it's some mystery.

"That makes no sense." I blurt out.

"He never liked Abnegation's customs or how my parents thought he was so selfless. My father turned selfish because Caleb left. This was his payback. He decided to end them." Tris replies coldly.

"You're not okay." I whisper in her ear, "And if someone says you are then they're lying."

"I know." She mutters.

We eat our lunch in peace with the occasional sobs from Tris.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Tris POV

So after the whole thing, Tobias asked me to the dance on Friday. It was the cutest thing. I didn't think he actually would considering we are engaged. I almost drooled over how cute it was. Oh great. Now I'm acting like Christina.

The memory fades in again just like yesterday..... Oh wait it was actually yesterday.

"Hah so Tris." Tobias stutters. He's never been that nervous around me.

"So Tobias." I giggle. What's up with my Toby?

"Just uh yah know." He ruffles his hair and looks away.

I poke him in his belly button, "You're so weird Tobias."

He chuckles nervously, "And that's why you love me."