4.

Tris

My hand still aches from the cut. But, that's the least of my worries. I sit among the other new Dauntless. For once I feel like I belong. I was never selfless enough for my old faction, Abnegation. That's why I decided to leave. Caleb was the selfless one. If he felt that he needed to leave then I made the right choice.

The last name is called. Finally because I couldn't bear anymore of this silence. I was also thinking if I made the right choice. Since I'm Divergent, I had an Aptitude for three factions. Erudite, Abnegation, and Dauntless. I chose Dauntless. I'm not smart enough for Erudite either. If I would have chosen Erudite the my brother and I would be in the same faction.

A girl with dark skin and brown hair says something to me but I can nearly hear her over the commotion. I see everyone rising from their seats and realize that the Ceremony is over. I have made it through the Ceremony! Now I only have to worry about high school.

She says so etching to me again and this time I can finally hear her clearly, "Let's go, the others are leaving."

I nod even though she is in front of me and can't see me. So I speak up instead, "Dauntless sector, right?"

We sprint to keep up with the other Dauntless. I huff. The girl from earlier dressed in black and white runs a little bit in front me. I have to pick up the pace in order to match my short strides to her long ones. All the transfers run behind the Dauntless members. Probably not use to this much exercise.

High school starts in a week. We get a week off so that we can prepare for high school and adjust to our new faction. We I'll also be living with our new faction in the school dorms. The high school is in the middle of the city.

"Yeah, I can tell you're not an Erudite transfer." She tells me, "I'm Christina. I transferred from Candor."

I laugh, "Beatrice and no I'm not. I thought all the gray would give me away."

"Does it look like I have eyes in the back of my head?" Christina asks teasingly while laughing.

"Actually it does."

"I didn't know Abnegation can joke."

"Not many people try to get to know us. Anyways I was too selfish for my faction."

"Is that why you left them?" She asks with curiosity.

"Yeah. My brother was always the most selfless one out of us two."

"Was he the one who transferred to Erudite?"

"Yes."

"He doesn't seem so selfless. A selfless person wouldn't leave their faction and family for what they like. Sorry I am sounding like an Erudite."

I catch my breath, "You're just being honest."

"That's what I've done my whole life."

"Why did you transfer?"

Christina chuckles, "Not honest enough."

"You seem pretty honest to me."

"Well you caught me. I didn't want to go through the truth serum. That's what Initiation is. They make you answer all these personal questions in front of the whole faction of Candor."

"Seems bad."

I see a bunch of Dauntless ahead of me jump onto a moving train. I know what happens next. I have seen them do it at school plenty of times. You have to jump on and the trains doesn't stop. I run and fumble alongside the train. Christina gets on before me. She seems to have little troubles getting on. It's my turn to jump now. I quicken my pace.

Someone. Wait no. When I get a closer view I realize that he's a boy. A boy around my age takes my hand and helps me up. He has dark brown hair. Deep ocean blue eyes stare at me not wanting to look away. I stare back. He still holds my hand even though I'm in the train.

He speaks up quietly, "I'm Four."

"I'm.... Uh I'm...."

"Think about it you don't get to pick a new name."

A new name. A new place. Maybe I can be someone else. Maybe I can be the real me. I don't have to pretend to be selfless anymore. I smile not letting go of his hand. I have never held anyone's hand before and I wonder if I am squeezing too tight or not enough.

"Tris." I reply sure of myself.

"Welcome to Dauntless, Tris."